01/21/17 Mansfield Park Catfishing, part 2

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by erickso1, Jan 23, 2017.

1. erickso1

erickso1 Well-Known Member

Took my (now 5yo) son out with his fishing buddy (and mine) to Mansfield Park for a couple hours of trying to get him on his first catfish. Got to the park about 10 before 8 am. It was overcast and foggy. Temp in mid 50's, maybe low 60's. We cast out three lines with dip tubes and dip bait. The kids then went running around playing, looking at the minnow, etc. I didn't see any bass or bluegill in their usual spots by the boat dock, so no chance to procure some cut bait. Had one solid hit about 1.5 hours in. Had a fish on the line, but it shook loose when I tried to transfer the rod over to my kid. Line went slack for a second and it shook loose.

All in all it was a nice day at the park. Water level was up a couple feet at least due to the draw down on LA.

Thinking about hitting up Cypress Creek park next time. See if we can't get him on one there. If not, then it'll be Mansfield Park again. I've been bugging Jess for tips, but if anyone else would like to chime in, all advice is always aprpeciated.

Pop N Cork likes this.
  2. HarleyRockstar

HarleyRockstar Well-Known Member

I had a brief catfishing interest before the crappie fishing addiction took over. I made juglines, tried every bait out there including cut bait and zote soap and even tried soured maize(smelly stuff). I never had tons of success other than on trot lines with my father in law using live minnows.

My only recommendation would be throwing out range cubes along the shoreline you plan to fish the day before. Takes extra effort to go 2 days in a row but might help. They can be bought at feed stores and are packed with proteins that attract baitfish as they disintegrate. That would be my only tip and good luck!