Anyone have a UFLEX Steering system on their rig?

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Chris Coufal, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Chris Coufal

Chris Coufal Well-Known Member

The more and more I dig into replacing my steering system on the boat, the less I want to use the current SeaStar teleflex system. My current steering cylinder failed due to plastic bushings in the yolk bracket where they attach to the pivot bolt and the cylinder arms. I could add a stainless washer to "soak up" some of the slack on the cylinder, but the mounting point at the pivot bolt does not have an option to correct the slack.

The Mercury UFLEX system seems to be all stainless from shims to bushings. Not saying it cannot wear out, but IMO stainless should last much longer than plastic like in the current system. Also the cylinder is compatible with my current helm and lines.

Anyone running one of these? I know they are fairly new in terms of how long they have been out. Just curious before I pull the trigger.....steering systems are not cheap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    My buddy replaced his SeaStar cylinder with the Uflex as it was a hell of a lot cheaper. Although he mentioned he also had to replace the lines, but didnt have to replace the helm. It's been on for about 2 years and he hasnt had any problems. Although his boat is a bay boat and doesnt run 70mph or close to it.

Chris Coufal likes this.
  3. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Your experience with that boat is a constant reminder of why I am buying something with warranty.

Chris Coufal likes this.
  4. Chris Coufal

Chris Coufal Well-Known Member

Hence why I call her "The Hell Bitch".