Boat Insurance

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Chris Baker, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Who is the best? How much did you pay? I'm shopping and so far it seems the price has gone way up from last year.

2. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Talk to Gary Brownell, he fishes with TTZ, he can get you several quotes and find you a deal.

gbrownell@ppia-ins.com - Round Rock, TX - (512) 258-2000x205

3. Chris Baker

I have an agent and don't like change. All agents will low ball to start. I just want to know how much I should be paying for a 1 year policy. I think just under $1000 is steep.

4. bDick

bDick Well-Known Member

Too many variables with insurance.

Are you getting an agreed value on the boat, or market value?

What's the deductible?

$700-$900 seems to be what I've paid in the past.

5. KC_Crow

KC_Crow Active Member

I am paying $480/yr through Geico Marine. Agreed Hull Value, Emergency Service/Towing, 100/300K liability, 854K fuel spill liability, new boat replacement, disappearing deductible, medical, personal effects, etc., etc.

I did bump the deductible up to $500

6. Gary Brownell

Gary Brownell Well-Known Member

Chris, if you haven't selected a company I will tell you, like someone else mentioned, that there are many variables when getting any type of insurance. Like credit score, are you married, do you own a home, driving record, actual cash value vs. stated amount and so on. The best rates for boats I have seen are with Safeco, Progressive, boat USA and a few others. If you have your home and auto with a company I would start there for multi policy discounts that would be available to you. Depending on all the factors I have clients with 30k to 40K boats with rates anywhere from $500 to $1000.

7. Chris Baker

Thanks Gary. I did start a new policy a couple of days ago with Progressive. It includes full replacement with a stated replacement value, which is the current value of a 2016 ZX225, and extra propulsion coverage. Also it includes $5000 in fishing equipment and $3500 in personal effects. The items that came on the boat are included in the boats value. I paid $987 with deductibles or either $250 or $500 depending on the covered loss.

On another note we should get together. I don't like change but I am willing to have you quote my policies. I have Travelers for my home and personal auto, Mercury for my business auto, Progressive for my boat, and Utica for my Liability. All of these are through Bluebonnett Pride out of Liberty Hill.

8. cdle362

cdle362 Member

I would not only focus on cost of insurance, but also on how willing your insurance company is actually willing to pay. I feel like I have Gary on my side to ensure we are treated right.

NjTexan and Chris Baker like this.
  9. Gary Brownell

Gary Brownell Well-Known Member

Chris, I don't write any commercial insurance and lately I have been getting good rates with Travelers. Not that I wouldn't like to earn your business but it sounded like you want to keep all your business in one spot which I understand. I looks like to me your agent is providing the best he can for you. If you ever want a review or check rates I will be happy to help with that.
    Appreciate it!
    Gary

NjTexan likes this.