Boomvang trip report

Discussion in 'Saltwater Reports' started by Kyle Jud, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Kyle Jud

Kyle Jud Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I got a last minute invite for an overnighter, and left Thursday at noon. We ran to Tequila/Cerveza area and trolled til almost dark with no action. We got to Boomvang not long after dark and started catching blackfin right away on Shimano Flat Fall jigs (the only jig they would bite). After that we cut up chunks and caught one 30lb yellowfin. We were only catching big blackfin on the chunks, so at about 1am I decided to throw the popper until I caught something or my arms fell off.

So.... after popping for a while in the dark, we pulled up to the edge of the light from the rig and I threw the black Tuna Hunter popper on a Shimano Sustain 6000 and a Shimano rod. On the second pop, a hole opened up in the sea and my popper went flying about 4 feet out of the water. It looked like somebody had dropped a piano in the water. At the same time, my braid wrapped around my tip, and I scrambled to get it free. As soon as I did, I popped it one more time and it got absolutely crushed. I fought the fish for over an hour and it took me around the boat a couple of times. I got it close to the boat twice, and the second time, we could tell that it was 100+lbs easy. It had big sickles and was pretty damn massive.

So here's where the story gets ugly. The owner of the boat was the gaff man and he set the gaff in a rod holder right next to where I was fighting the fish. I didn't see it there. Next thing I knew, the line was within the hook of the gaff. In a split second, the line touched the tip of the gaff where it starts to get sharp, and the 50lb braid was sliced.

So that was rough. After that, we caught a few more blackfin and called it a night. The next morning we trolled for 8 hours with no luck, then hit up some state water snapper spots. The snapper bite was great and we caught some really nice ones on snapper slappers tipped with sardines.

[​IMG]

So yeah, the snapper saved the trip. The throats and half-shell fillets were delicious on the grill this evening.

2. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Ugh I hurt for you on the big YFT. That is a sickening feeling after fighting it for so long. Getting a 100+ lb tuna to the boat on a 6000 size reel is man's work, by the way.

Kyle Jud likes this.
  3. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Cool report as always, thank you for sharing.

4. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

Nice report Puma!

5. BlevinsH

BlevinsH Active Member

Awesome! Couldn't imagine hooking a YFT on a light setup like that.

6. BrianB

BrianB Administrator

Home Page:
    Good stuff bud.

7. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

Puma.....such a hardass it's unreal.

8. GrantS

GrantS Administrator

Sounds like a fun trip. Sorry to hear about the mishap. Makes me want to get back offshore with the popping gear!

9. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    True story I woke up this morning and the first thing that popped in my head was the thought of grilled snapper throats.

Kyle Jud likes this.
  10. TheDonger

TheDonger Active Member

There is nothing like ripping the throat out of a snapper and throwing it over fire....

[​IMG]

Gary Brownell and Kyle Jud like this.