Calcutta Conquest and Zodias Cranking Rod Combo

Discussion in 'Rods - Reels - Tackles - Electronics' started by John D. Ward, Aug 16, 2016.

1. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    As I am getting older I'm less and less thrilled about deep cranking big crankbaits. I've been mostly using high speed lower torque reels and after a while my wrist doesn't exactly feel great, my forearm will be sore, and I'm covered in sweat. So....I started reading, watching videos and doing whatever research I could on deep cranking combos. After considering a lot of options I settled on the Zodias 7'6" MHG Crankbait rod and the Shimano Calcutta Conquest 200 reel.

Now the rod we've already discussed on this site, everybody loves it, our buddy helped with some input in this rod. It's freaking amazing, more Zodias cranking rod praise here:

http://ttzforum.com/threads/zodias-crankbait-rod-review-two-thumbs-up.5319/

And at a $200 price point it's a steal of a deal on a deep cranking rod.

As for the reel, I was a little opposed to a round reel. I've been on the low profile train for quite awhile, and I never really was a fan of the round reels back in the day. But the more I read about the conquest the more I realized I needed to have one ASAP! The technology and engineering that went into this reel are second to none. It's flat out amazing. It has the torque and power of a round reel, the handle feel, palmability, and weight of a low profile reel, and the look and feel of fine work of art. I could go on and on about it, but here is all the details direct from Shimano:

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-reels/overhead/conquest.html

And here is what they look like with a Jackall DD Cherry Ghost Craw tied on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Pop N Cork, balddave and AndrewO like this.
  2. Pop N Cork

Pop N Cork Well-Known Member

Very nice, I'm tempted.

3. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    Nice setup. Let us know how it performs with 8 and 10XD's.

4. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Last night I was using a 6XD and a DD22, both of which felt like I was retrieving a little squarebill. On my second cast I caught a keeper on the 6xd, then I caught a sweet guad at our next stop. I could throw that 6XD all night, that rod and reel combo is pretty amazing.

5. JamesA

JamesA Well-Known Member

Nice JD. A pair of these are on my wish list.

6. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Shawn, that rod can throw an 8XD, but I don't think it is enough for a 10XD. It would work in a pinch, but not the best option.

7. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Yeah it handles the 8XD well, I caught a couple keepers last week on this combo using an 8XD.