California 8/27 - 8/31

Discussion in 'Saltwater Reports' started by GrantS, Sep 9, 2015.

1. GrantS

GrantS Administrator

After leaving the northwoods of Wisconsin, I was lucky enough to get invited out to California to spend a few days offshore chasing the fish around and trying to get in on the best fishing they have had in years. We landed in Long Beach and the captain picked us up, and headed straight to the boat in Newport Beach. We boarded the boat Thursday afternoon and headed south, fishing our way to Dana Point that evening.
    [​IMG]

Although we metered some good schools of fish along the way, we couldn't get anything to come up on the feathers, jigs, or perfect live anchovies we had.
    [​IMG]

Friday morning we left Dana Point around 3:30am with the idea of making it about 25 miles out to the 209 for sunrise. The weather was perfect and seas flat calm when we made it to the numbers.
    [​IMG]
    Friday was a very long tough day on the water. We saw puddling tuna everywhere, but could only manage to catch skipjack out of them. A partner boat that was only about 3 miles inside us though, had much better luck putting 12 Yellowfin and 3 Dorado in the boat by 10am before the tide slacked out. This would prove to be the theme of the trip for us. The rest of the day we spent working our way northwest towards Catalina Island. We trolled through massive pods of dolphins, around great current and temp breaks, and all with nothing more than skipjack to show for it. We made it to the harbor in Avalon and got moored just as the sun was setting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That evening we spent at the historic Tuna Club of Avalon. It is an amazing place, and essentially a cross between a Country Club and Museum. I could talk about that place for days, but will save the details. We were there to help the Captain we fished with setup for the yearly Tuna Club Marlin Tournament and Benefit Dinner and Auction that would take place on Saturday.

We woke up at day break Saturday morning and only had a few hours to fish before heading back to the club to finish getting everything ready for the event that evening. We stuck close and tried to catch yellowtail on the inside of Catalina Island. We bump trolled live mackerel and also magnum X-raps and only managed Bonita and 1 pulled hook on a yellowtail. We headed back to Avalon and the Tuna Club for the rest of the day and evening
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sunday morning with everyone a little foggy, we began fishing our way back towards Newport Beach. The weather began getting a little sporty making for a interesting trip back in. We stopped along the way at numerous kelp patties but all were empty. We trolled more temp and current breaks, as well as more porpoise schools and still couldn't manage a tuna.

The week prior to and following our trip, the private and party boats were smoking the fish in the exact areas we were. We figure the full moon while we were out had the fish feeding all night and likely a cause of the poor fishing we experienced...or at least that is what we are going to continue telling ourselves until the next trip out!

2. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Damn dude, that is tough. I've been in the same situation before where everyone is saying that fishing is full speed, you get your expectations set really high and then the trip is a total bust. At the end of the day, there are far worse places to spend a few days on the water. I bet the beer was cold too.

3. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

So I thought only the rich and famous got to do things like that. Very sweet but I'm so jealous.

4. BrianB

BrianB Administrator

Home Page:
    Thanks for the report buddy. Even ur tough outings are legendary!

5. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

Sweet pics, looks like an awesome place to visit

6. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Awesome, did you by chance visit any wine mixers in Catalina?

[​IMG]

BrianB and Waylon Papst like this.
  7. GrantS

GrantS Administrator

Funny you should ask. I took this photo and had to send it to a few people with the line from Step Brothers.
    [​IMG]
    We went by where it was starting to be setup, but we were a bit early. The actual event is being held this weekend at the Descanso Beach Club.

8. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Yeah I had read online awhile back that after that movie some guys said f-it, let's start a real Catalina Wine Mixer and make it an annual event. Life imitating art.