Chitown fishing last week

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Trey, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Needed a break from the Far East so flew home to Chicago last week. I fished almost every day. My sleep was all jacked up so I would wake up at 3:30-4:00 every morning and go pond hopping. My parents moved out of the city and now have like 20 ponds around their place. Pretty sweet setup.

Had a tough day on Lake Michigan fishing for smallies. Just not a lot of fish, maybe 10 bass between the 3 of us in 6 hours fishing. Big lightning storm had just rolled through and I think it screwed it up. We saw tons of fish. Fished from Gary, IN to the 95th street beach in Chicago.
    My best bite came on a Camo colored 4.8 Flick Shake on a dropshot.
    small.jpg dad.jpg smalle.jpg

The day before, we went trolling out of Waukegan harbor. Ran offshore 12 miles and trolled up most of our fish in 125-135 FOW, they were pretty high in the water column though (fishery has changed a lot in that aspect). Mixed bag of lake trout, steelhead, cohos and king salmon.

Nice laker laker.jpg

3 man limit in 5 hours
    kingfin.jpg

Was supposed to fish out of my buddy's jet boat on the Kankakee river, but heavy rains flooded us out. We went to Braidwood lake, a nuclear powerplant lake, instead and murdered schoolies. It reminded me so much of Bastrop. We busted them pretty good and caught ~70 fish between 3 people. Chug bug, yellow magic, sammy, whopper plopper and squarebill were the big winners. Didn't matter really. I didn't take any pics, but most of them were your typical Bastrop chunks. Nothing over 3.5 lbs.

I terrorized pond bass. The first morning, I caught 11 on an Iobee frog. That was my best morning for numbers. I caught my biggest bass of the week on my last cast of the trip. They were eating that frog like they had never seen one before, which is quite possible.

Sealed it with a fatty.
    large.jpg

Nice trip home, Chicago is such an awesome place in the summer. Great to fish with family and friends. Didn't really want to come back.

2. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Almost forgot, mom caught a frog on a frog. Look at all that delicious grass in the background. Fish were cruising the edges of those mats feeding on bluegills.
    frog.jpg

3. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page: