Copano bay 9/11-9/12

Discussion in 'Saltwater Reports' started by erickso1, Sep 13, 2015.

1. erickso1

erickso1 Well-Known Member

Stayed with the fam at a house on copano bay. Drove down Friday through the torrential rainstorm and got down there around 5. Unpacked, ate dinner and turned on the fishing light on the pier. My son and I were casting out white gulp shrimp on 1/8 oz jigs and retrieving thru the lights. Nothing going, just nibbles. So we switched gears and pulled out the Sabiki rig. Best catch was 5 mullet out of six hooks. Also netted some small blue crabs as they swam by. Kiddo had a blast. After aquarium on Saturday we picked up some fresh dead shrimp. About three we started casting those out and getting robbed. So we went in until dark. In the meantime we set out three ring traps with turkey necks for blue crab. Ended up catching 5 keepers. When it was dark we went Bac out. Water was calm, and bait fish were getting snapped up in the lights by smaller trout. Kid wanted to catch mullet, so we did that for an hour before his bed. Caught a bunch of mullet and about 4 smaller trout. Kiddo went to bed and I stayed up for four hours casting gulp shrimp, gulp mullet and gulp croakers. Just small fish bites. I finally caught a small trout on a gulp after I gave him a couple minutes to get it into his mouth. He almost choked to death. Threw some crab out and only bites I got on that we're other crab. Even reeled a big one up to the pier but couldn't net it.

Not sure if it was me, but it seemed there wasn't anything if size around. Had a blast though with the kid.

Attached Files:

Chris Baker, DBarron and Erich like this.
  2. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report. When you said you were pier fishing I assumed you meant something more along the lines of Bob Hall pier or the like,

I have some different techniques that work well for the type of fishing you were doing, shoot me a PM next time before you head down and I will get you squared away

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Chris Baker and erickso1 like this.
  3. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Nice report. I have a friend with a house on the Arroyo and it sounds very similar. I hear those piers can be awesome though.