Cover your boat if outside.

Discussion in 'Boats' started by goodner171, Oct 28, 2015.

1. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

So.....I get a call from my wife yesterday saying she's in the backyard (where my boat is stored) and the engine is making a high pitch noise and churning sound (best way I can describe it). Initial though was maybe I left the bilge pump on or hit a switch while putting the cover on late Saturday. I told her to run to the garage, get some tools and unhook the batteries ASAP. She did and it stopped. Got home and tried to find what the hell was going on. Found that I left my boat uncovered for a couple hours during the torrential downpours the other day and as the boat filled with water and started sinking into the mud, water found its way to the bow and shorted the trim switch on the bow. (water made the connection between the two contacts on the back of the switch). Luckily she caught it in time to save the trim motor and battery, but just a heads up that this shit can happen and cost you some money. If not caught can fry your batteries and burn up the trim motor. Just a heads up. Keep your boat covered if outside in the rain. Called Gary at Tracker and he said he had six come in over the weekend with the same issue. Seems enough water can find it's way into the switch on the bow during heavy rains and cause issues even if it's not from inside the boat. Hope this helps save someone some trouble.

GG

Chris Coufal likes this.
  2. Chris Coufal

Chris Coufal Well-Known Member

If you fished FFF this weekend you should be airing your boat out this week. I had water inside every single box. It seems it was running into the boat faster than the drains could channel it from the hatches and through the bilge. Anything that was absorbent (cardboard, towels, paper, ect) was completely ruined. Everything I had stowed in the glovebox was ruined as well. I completely de-rigged the boat and have had the hatches propped open for 2 days.

3. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

Not to mention the potential issue with the bow trim switch but I've also recently seen this same issue with the switch under the cowling. Always a good practice to disconnect the battery anyways to avoid parasitic discharge.

Trim motors ain't cheap

goodner171 and Chris Coufal like this.
  4. goodner171

Anyone know of a good quick disconnecting means for battery cables and or terminals? There has to be something out there.

5. DBarron

Pop N Cork, goodner171 and Bill McAnn like this.
  6. DBarron

And I'm sure you can figure out how to wire it...... :/

goodner171, balddave and Waylon Papst like this.
  7. DBarron

8. aggiegreg

aggiegreg Well-Known Member

Battery switch that Dustin mentioned...only way to go

9. goodner171

Just ordered one. I got the dual circuit switch for two banks and it ran me right at 50 bucks with shipping. Not bad.

10. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Back in the spring during all of the rain I had some electrical issues. I wasn't sure what it was and I'm still not sure. I was getting shocked by touching the carpet. I also have more corrosion than I should have. I guess its all related to the electrical connections staying wet. I also had a pump tripping the breaker, the dry dock went out, and I'm getting interference in my graphs from the trolling motor. I wasn't getting any interference when I first got the boat. I have since noticed that they ran all of the wires that go up front through the bilge area and along the bottom of the boat. These get wet and stay wet often. At least they could have water proofed the large ball of connections that lay in the water? I may have to invest in a switch too. I hate to because I cant leave the dry dock on if I disconnect the battery. Plus the switch doesnt solve the problem while you are using the boat, only when parked. Although the connections to the dry dock have corroded and I have had to redo them already. I think because the non water proofed connections were laying directly on wet carpet. So I may be water proofing all my electrical connections instead. We'll see what Skeeter can do first. I'm tired of working on my boat.

11. Chris Baker

I also believe that towing in rain without a cover gets the water in places that it normally wouldn't get into. I towed with a cover this time and I had no water in any compartments at all. Not even after fishing in the rain all day.

12. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    Those switches also come in handy when your kids jump in your boat to play when you're not around.

13. DBarron

Chris your boat should have a battery disconnect switch in the back box?

14. Chris Baker

15. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

FYI, Tractor Supply has battery disconnect switches for a lot cheaper than I have seen them anywhere else. Like 15 bucks and they look just like the one Dustin posted. Always check the redneck joints first, neck's don't pay 50 bucks at West Marine for shit like this.

Brandon Feltner likes this.
  16. Brandon Feltner

Brandon Feltner Well-Known Member

Buy your fizzing needles from there too! Last time I did they were $4 for a pack of 6. I can't remember what gauge. 16? They are used to administer medicine to live stock.

17. goodner171

Was that a duel bank switch or single? Mine was duel that's why it was more expensive (i think).

18. GHPhotography

GHPhotography New Member

IMG_2022.JPG these are at Academy for $24.99

19. GHPhotography

GHPhotography New Member

Also saw this today at the Academy on 183..
    IMG_2032.JPG

20. goodner171

Got my switch installed a month or so ago. Its amazing how something so simple can help so much. I've noticed my batteries have been a lot stronger to start the day because there is not voltage bleed off while sitting. Not to mention no chance of anything getting shorted out during a rain. Great investment. Also if you're dumb like me and accidentally leave a pump on or something stupid, I no longer have to worry. Just remember to turn off the main switch when you park the boat, or as you get it ready to trailer at the ramp.