Falcon July 30th

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Shawn T, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    12 of us rolled down to Falcon over the weekend. The fish are still biting and it is definitely on it’s way back. The lake is 28’ low and the bridge at Valenio is about to come into play so be careful if going down there and launching from the county ramp.

Craig and I started mid lake scanning some old rock piles and house foundations and didn’t see much on them and a lot of them are now out of the water or in less than 10’. So we started at some huge deep boulders scattered around in 15 and 30 ft of water at marker 6 and Craig lands our first fish of the trip on one of his first casts with a 10XD. We took a picture of it encase it was the only fish we’d catch all weekend.
    craigs giant.jpg We spend 30 minutes there and catch one more on c-rig that goes about 3 pounds. We fish a couple of off shore humps near the river channel and pick up a couple of 3 pounders on Tx-rigged creature baits then head towards the dam .

There is still a ton of fish on the dam. There is also a ton of boats on every point and ledge along the channel and sprinkled all down the rip rap as well as several anglers on the bank and they are all catching. One bank fisher had over 25lbs throwing rattle traps. We fish the deep edge and catch several fish from 2-4 pounds on creature baits, mag flukes and big worms. We also picked one up on an Alabama rig. Pretty much anything you throw will get bit, and if you want to catch 100+ fish you could throw sq bills or a rattle trap along the rip rap.

We leave the crowds at the dam and try some deep ledges and old rock piles and run to one of my favorite offshore humps that is now a little tiny offshore island. First cast with a crankbait and I pick up this one that was less than an ounce short of 8 pounds. It was long but skinny.
    8pounder.jpg

The next 30 casts or so with the crankbait we catch probably 15 fish, but nothing over 4 pounds. We then start throwing football jigs and c-rigs off the deeper points and don’t catch much of anything except a couple of 3’s on the c-rig. When we’d pick up the crankbait we’d start catching again. Caught a couple with the A-rig also. We leave those fish biting and head to more deep rock around marker 8. It took a couple of casts to find the sweet spot but we start hooking up with more 3 to 5 pound fish on mag flukes and 12 inch worms. They would not touch a crankbait here though. Don’t know how many we caught but it was a bunch and we finished the afternoon there because I hooked into what I think were 2 giants (there is usually big girls on this rock pile) one of which just comes unbottoned and the other that took me into some rock and cut the line. Most of the ones we caught here looked pretty much like this, minus the blood.
    anotherfish.jpg

They were crushing the mag fluke and big worms as soon as we pulled it up the ledge and touched the rock. Watermelon red and green pumkin red magic mag flukes, and blue fleck mag ole monster worms worked best for us.
    Ended the day with 50 fish or so with most in the 3-4 pound range a few 5's and the 8 pounder.
    4 of the other boats in our group fished shallower rocky points and flipped brush and caught a bunch fish in the 4-6 pound range on big lizards and sq bills. I think between them they had seven or eight fish over 5lbs and three or four over 6lbs.

2nd day Craig has to continue to deal with my stubbornness of fishing my deep offshore stuff bobbing around in 2-3 ft swells with the Fortrex on 80-100 to keep us from getting blown around. I will add that the Skeeter does a lot better job of this than my Legend did. We wanted to focus on deep stuff and fished different rockpiles and house foundations and caught more fish in the 3-5pound range and ended up with 40-50 fish with no bigguns. Mag flukes were key for us again, we went thru several packages but the guys that fished shallow didn’t have much luck on them and it was big lizards and brush hogs for them. Craig and I did flip some trees in 7-9’ of water for a little bit and got on them pretty good. It was probably every other big hard wood tree we flipped into we’d get bit. Don’t know what it is about those trees and we tried to figure out, but we fished other trees at the same exact depth, same rocky bottom, that looked exactly the same but just at different areas of the lake and could not get bit. We’d go back to that group of trees to see if maybe they are just off the hard wood bite and they weren’t, they were still eating just reloading on the trees. Same thing happened to us last year on the same set of trees.

The other boat in our group that fished deep ended the weekend with a 9, two 8’s, two or three 7’s and some 6’s in addition to a bunch of fish in the 3-5 range. They too flipped a little bit to take a break from the offshore pounding and caught one of their 8’s out the same tree Craig and I caught fish out of the day before.

Mid lake produced best for Craig and I (mile markers 6, 7, and 8) and most in our group fished the Tigers area down to a mile north of the State Park but there are still a bunch of fish on the dam if you want to deal with the crowds. Nobody in our group could do it long even though everyone there was very friendly, but we all hit it at some point and all caught fish of off it. Pretty much everywhere else on the lake you get to yourself, which is nice. Salado way up on the north end also produced a bunch of fish for our group. There are a ton of fish in there. Overall it was a lot of fun, but I sure hope Falcon gets some water soon

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    jsmith, Trey, Craig C and 1 other person like this.
  2. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

Nice!! Oh and Cordova's foul hook pic should be framed.

3. falcon native

falcon native Member

4. SkeeterDon

SkeeterDon Well-Known Member

Awesome report. Good times for sure.

5. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

Sweet report. Makes me want to open an office in Zapata and "work" down there half the month.

6. Craig C

Craig C Well-Known Member

Solid report, Shawn. Just an observation, the bigger bites did happen when Miley and or Katy Perry were playing, not sure if coincidence or not.

goodner171, bDick and Trey like this.
  7. Timberlake

Timberlake Well-Known Member

Awesome report Shawn, wish we could have hung out a little longer. That 50-60 fish appetizer me and my dad had Friday morning, made it hard to leave. I hear you on the KP /Miley thing, it is a Texas phenomenon.

Is it just me or it there a similarity between these photos?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

goodner171, Shawn T and Ross Wright like this.