Falcon July 8-10

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by AndrewO, Jul 10, 2016.

1. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

Falcon is coming back.

A group of us fished Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Saturday was the big fishing day and I fished from 6:30 AM straight through until 6:30 PM. No siesta for me! It was hot (100+) and the wind was a constant 20-35 mph. Twelve hours in those conditions beat my ass up pretty good, but I fell asleep happy that night. We didnt keep exact count but definitely put over 100 fish in the boat. Granted 50 or so of them were magnum whites, but we still had at least 50 black bass. Couple in the 8 pound range and a few other good ones, several solid keepers and a whole bunch of dinks.

Fish were caught both shallow and deep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lance was with us and of course he stuck an 8 and a 9 (I am sure he will be along sortly to post pics of his fish).

Also, we stayed at a place that opened up in March called Bassman's Lodging. The owner was great and the place was well kept and very clean. It would be good for a group up to six. It has parking for up to four boats. The price cannot be beat ($100 a night plus a $60 cleaning fee). The owner is also building another lodge/house next door so he can accommodate more people.

2. rfrisbie

rfrisbie Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a fantastic time!

3. AndrewO

It was amazing. I am sooo tired today, but just want to pack up the car again and drive on down there.

4. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
  5. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    Is this the place y'all booked?
    https://www.vrbo.com/822200

We are making another trip back down there and our normal house is booked up. :( not as easy to get as it was the last couple of years.

DBarron likes this.
  6. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

yup that's it.
    Veteran owned and operated, Raul is a cool cat and a wealth of information when it comes to Falcon

7. DBarron

After a lackluster day of fishing on Friday, my pops and I redeemed ourselves Saturday boating an estimated 70 fish with maybe 10 of those being under 14".
    It was like fishing Fayette on steroids, except bigger, and hotter, and windier. Once we dialed them in it was on,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    John D. Ward, dbueche, Trey and 4 others like this.
  8. SkeeterDon

SkeeterDon Well-Known Member

9. Dave Todd

Dave Todd Member

Home Page:
    Damn Dustin, what got into the side of that fish?

10. Chris Coufal

Chris Coufal Well-Known Member

We had a pretty awesome weekend despite the wind. We didn't catch the numbers the other guys did, but we caught some quality and had a great time. The first day I killed my TM batteries in 5 hours fighting the wind trying to flip trees. After giving up on that we started running rock piles I had marked and started catching fish. Lance whacked several on small cranks while I caught them on plastics and jigs. Day 2 we opted to fish shallow rock the entire day and it payed off. We caught several fish on 10" worms and mag flukes. Lance nailed this 8 and 9lber. Later that evening we went back out and threw C-rigs in the wind and caught several more fish. Sunday we opted to sleep in and leave early due to heat exhaustion and lack of sleep. We had a great time and I will be planning a trip back soon to get my revenge....as my big fish of the trip was only about 4lbs.

CSB Time: We were fishing a bend in some rock that was getting beat by the wind and washing shad into it. I pitched out a mag fluke and it got nailed. I set the hook and immediately see Lance set the hook for a double! He yells to get the net because this is a good fish. After netting his 8lber an hour earlier in the same spot, I toss my rod into the boat (fish still attached swimming around) and pick up the net. As his fish comes up and we see the head of what I though was an easy 10lber, my rod flies out of the boat and starts to sink. Lance being a total badass, sticks his rod into the water to get my rod while still fighting the 9lber! He barely catches it and lifts up the handle and I slide the net under it. I reach out to grab it and the fish takes off and the rod shoots out of the net. I throw all of my body out of the boat but a leg and grab the rod before it sinks to the bottom. I throw it in the boat again and stand on it while I net Lances fish and then boat flip my 2lber into the boat. We high five, take a few pics and laugh our ass off at what just happened! It was pretty awesome!

Andrew, thank you for organizing this trip and doing all the work to make it happen....as well as cooking us some delicious food! I had an awesome time and I'm always available for a trip like this!

20160709_094717.jpg
    20160709_082657.jpg

11. LanceHale

LanceHale New Member

Home Page:
    What a great weekend, with the heat, and the wind it was pretty tough fishing. Had the best guide/netman on the lake sat!
    Thanks to Andrew for putting the trip together and thanks to chris for letting me ride with him. I will go back, maybe not this summer but soon!

12. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Looks like a great time. Dustin, it is awesome to see your dad healthy and whackin on some basses. Brought a smile to my face.

Looks like that one fish had a run in with an alligator gar.

John D. Ward, DBarron and Craig C like this.
  13. DBarron

You and me both, he hung in there for sure. Dad was the first one up and the last one to bed most everyday. Monday he celebrated the one year anniversary of his open heart surgery and he had a little soreness as a reminder from swinging on all those fish. Only problem now is he's ready to go back
    I'm trying to whip him in to shape for a spring trip to Salto

And I agree, I think that fish had a run in with one of those monster gars down there. They seemed to be all over the lake

bDick, John D. Ward and Trey like this.
  14. AndrewO

Dustin, your Dad is a total hardass. I hope I can be like him someday when I grow up. I really enjoyed getting to hang with G-Barron. I am ready to go back too!

John D. Ward and DBarron like this.
  15. Chris Coufal

Andrew....can I borrow some of those blue eyed crankbaits?

16. AndrewO

No!

Chris Coufal likes this.
  17. dbueche

dbueche Member

Home Page:
    Great times!!!!! I was hardheaded and stayed on the upper end struggling until Saturday afternoon, then joined the boys down low and was able to catch a few fatties as well. I second the lodge. Great place, clean, cheap, and very safe. As with most times when you don't use your boat much anymore then finally take it out... I was able to break my transducer for the front graph, console graph lost it's GPS function, an interior floor panel flew out on the drive down, and had a blowout on one of the tires during the drive home. Just tells me I should be fishing more. Thanks again for organizing the trip AO and cooking great meals! Can't wait for the next one!

18. AndrewO

Damn, you had a blow out on the way home>?!?!?!?!?! Hate to hear that buddy! Well, the good news is there isn't much else that can go wrong on your boat now.

dbueche and Chris Coufal like this.
  19. Chris Coufal

Dang......when I got home I pulled the cowling off to find the rattle that we had Saturday and found a missing head bolt and a water leak.
    #b.o.a.t.

20. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Great stuff guys, thank you for sharing. Awesome to see DBone's Dad crushing fish.

DBarron likes this.