Fayette 6-28-16

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Doug, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Doug

Doug Active Member

Water surface temp @ 7am -- 91 degrees --- @ 3pm it had climbed up to 97 degrees.
    Water clarity, 24 inches with a greenish look. Good water for this lake.
    Blue bird skies
    (Wind direction and speed.)
    7am -- out of south west @ 5-10mph
    9am -- straight out of the west @ about 5mph
    11am -- dead calm and hotter than all get out
    2pm -- front moves in, it starts to cloud up but still very hot
    4pm -- thunder storms producing strong sheer winds out of north east causing 3 to 4 foot rollers to build.
    This is why I do not get up early to fish this lake. From 7am to 11am I was not able to find one single bite, not even a tap from a perch. It was so dang hot, my legs were sweating. I almost called this trip, but I just couldn’t leave without catching something. Getting skunked just isn’t my style, but I sure thought I was about to witness one and that is the only reason why I didn’t give up and go home. I had bait balls and fish all over my graph, but these rascals had lock jaw. In that 4 hours I was running and gunning and I had stopped and fished 7 separate areas known to be decent fishing areas. But here is one thing that I have learned about this lake over the years and it will help you others out, when you can not find a bite on the lake no matter how hard you fish, go to the intake area, you will get a bite. So I did just that, went to intake area. From 11am to 4pm, I managed to put 32 bass in the boat, all caught with a 4 inch plastic worm on a T/R set up, fished in 15 to 25 FOW. Pumpkin seed plastic, tipped in chartreuse, sprayed with a little garlic scent worked best for me.
    Nothing great about my catch, a few 3lb bass with the average fish being some heavy 2‘s.
    For the reason above in my post about the early morning bite is why I normally do not arrive on this lake until 11am or a little later. I can not get on a good morning bite during this time of the year. November, December, March and April are the best months for an early morning bite. When the surface water temperature is around 65 to 75, morning bites are at their best.

John D. Ward and DBarron like this.
  2. magfluker

magfluker Well-Known Member

Rattle traps on points with grass for the morning bite...

3. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report Doug

4. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Thanks for the report!

5. Doug

Doug Active Member

Everyone is welcome. The start of this trip was really bad. I can't remember a time that I had been on the water for four hours before getting my first tap. I thought I was gonna get my butt handed to me. I guess I did for the first half. I'm just glad I found some feeding fish to catch at the end.