Fishing Playa Del Carmen

Discussion in 'Inshore & Offshore Discussions' started by DBarron, Aug 12, 2015.

1. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

I will be heading down in early September to sip mai tai's on the beach and take in the scenery for a few days. Might even do a little fishing,

My question to you guys is this, have you ever taken your own tackle? And how does that work as far as getting it there? More curious than anything....

I will likely plan a guide trip for one day and forego taking my own stuff but it's going to be difficult staring at the water without a fishing pole in hand

2. DBarron

3. rfrisbie

rfrisbie Well-Known Member

There are many outfits that do fishing trips. You will probably get the best deal by hitting the stands near the water transport terminal in Playa.

4. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    Nice. I'm heading to Costa Rica in a few weeks. I dont know how you did it, but I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to persuade the family that I want need to get out on the water.

5. DBarron

Probably what I will end up doing,

This floating sargasm is really going to be the deciding factor on the fishing trip.

6. DBarron

It's easy, buy the wife a spa day at the resort and the rest will fall in to place

7. GrantS

GrantS Administrator

If you decide to take gear, just be careful with your reels. I have taken small travel rods and 1 offshore outfit the last couple times I have gone down there. Check the rods in an airline approved rod tube and its no issue. The problem with the reels is the braided line. Leaving the US will not be a problem with them in your carry on, but returning is a 50/50 chance they make you strip the braid off the reels.

The best way around it is to simply remove the spools and place them in your checked luggage, and keep the frames with you in your carry on. There have been far too many instances of things disappearing from checked luggage now that you cannot lock the bags for me to place the fully assembled reels in there.

As far as hiring a guide, the resort and other companies will try to sell you trips. They will all seem like a decent price, and the pictures of the boats will also look nice in the brochures. The catch there is the boats are generally completely stripped of electronics, fish finder, etc, and the rods and reels on a lot of them are sub-standard as well. If the Marina is close to the resort, your best bet is to head down there between 2-5pm and look at the different boats, see what people were catching, and talk with the deckhands or captains while they are cleaning the boats. If you book with them directly, the trip will be about half the price the resort or other companies would charge, and you can make sure you are getting on a decent boat!

8. DBarron

Good info, Thanks Grant

I'm pretty much convinced anything arranged through the resort has a hefty convenience fee tacked on. With all the reports I've read lately the fishing has been tough with all the floating crap.

Maybe I will just find a panga to hop on for a while and go smoke some chicken dolphin under the mats of sargassum

Waylon Papst likes this.
  9. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

good info from Grant.

Book directly with a boat at the docks, its Mexico, something will be biting