Lake Conroe - Advice??

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by KC_Crow, Jul 12, 2016.

1. KC_Crow

KC_Crow Active Member

Taking a mini-vacation with the family over to Conroe weekend after next. Not really sure why we chose it as our destination other than none of us have ever been there before. Yeah, knowing the Classic will be there in March was in the back of my mind when the decision was being made. LOL

Anyone have any advice on what to look for or target? We'll be staying on the lower end of the lake, east side, couple arms up from the dam.

Thanks!

2. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

There are brush piles on the lower end that hold some good bass and giant hybrids.

KC_Crow likes this.
  3. KC_Crow

KC_Crow Active Member

Thanks! From what I can tell, the hybrid/crappie/catfish fisheries seem to be the most talked about. Just not much public talk about LMB fishing. The Conroe "hammers" are tight lipped! LOL

Oh well, even though we prefer going after the LMBs, this will strictly be fun fishing so if I find some hybrids stacked up somewhere we'll definitely drop some baits on em!

4. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Conroe has been fishing really, really well the last two years. I follow the results of their weekday tournaments and it consistently takes a 5-7 lb average to win. They have had some absolute giants caught as well. But it is definitely a pretty specific group of guys that consistenly catch em big there. Anyway, no advice as I have never been there, but the bass fishery is definitely doing well. Next year's Classic should be a beat down.

bDick and KC_Crow like this.
  5. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

The marina at the lighthouse holds numbers of bass with occasional big ones. Look for drainage pipes coming out of the seawall in various neighborhoods for ditches and the docks near them. There are some good ledges with brush on the west side offshore out from Wolfies in Rush Creek. And night fishing the lights all over can be really good!!

KC_Crow likes this.
  6. KC_Crow

KC_Crow Active Member

Thanks Chris!

7. bDick

bDick Well-Known Member

Chris pretty much nailed it. I lived there a year and a half and never really figured it out, but my two trips I've made this year, both yielded in several nice fish. The marinas all hold fish, under the docks, and especially on the breakwaters. The main bridge, and rip rap will certainly be worth checking out. Drop shot for numbers, and big worm or jig for more size. I caught some nice fish on top waters as well.

KC_Crow likes this.
  8. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Yep, my dad lives close to Conroe and he swears by a 10" power worm. Something in a red, purple, or blue. Like blue fleck, red bug, or plum apple.

KC_Crow likes this.
  9. dbueche

dbueche Member

Home Page:
    I haven't spent a ton of time on it since moving to Houston, but there are quite a few underwater lights if you don't mind night fishing. Just run a crank bait or spoon through them. They are hit and miss, but if they are there it's usually pretty easy to put some in the boat. Like others have mentioned, the marinas are pretty consistent and some have jetties in front for protection. I've caught some good fish at night on those cranking or throwing plastics along them. If you have side imaging, I'd troll around a lot of the long flat points on the lower end and look for brush. From what I hear, most guys fish north of the bridge where there is lots of timber, etc. Getting some stuff done to my boat over the next couple of weeks and going to start making more of an effort to get out there. Good luck!

KC_Crow likes this.
  10. KC_Crow

KC_Crow Active Member

Great info. guys! Thank you all.

11. KC_Crow

KC_Crow Active Member

Whelp, that was an interesting few days. It was so hot I just flat didn't have much motivation to fish. Just miserable. LOL 94-95 degree water didn't help. Even taking an evening cruise wasn't refreshing as you could feel the heat radiating off the water.

I basically fished just long enough to be able to say I caught one..which I did (15 incher) on a black/red Zoom Ol Monster in 24 f.o.w. in front of the lighthouse. Put the rod down and went back to the a/c and cold beverages. LOL

Ton of dead fish floating all over the lake...mostly catfish/carp/shad and a couple turtles. Water just had a funky look to it so we didn't swim much either.

We all chalked it up as another reminder of how good we have it with the lakes right in our own backyard!