LBJ practice

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Chris Baker, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Well I have been out on LBJ approximately 10 times since December. The fishing has been pretty slow overall. I have caught maybe 30 fish total with an average size of 1.5 lbs. Anywhere from 40' to 1' deep and on almost every bait you can think of like whopper ploppers, frogs, 4" worms, 5" worms, 7" worms, 10" worms, tubes, small jigs, big jigs, football jigs, c rig, T rig, shakey head, drop shot, lipless crank, lipped cranks, spoons, underspin, A rig, and jerkbait. I have found water as warm as 74, before Christmas, but has generally been between 54 and 64 degrees. I have fished from Heart of Texas resort to Cottonwood Shores, also pecan creek, walnut creek, sandy creek, dry creek, station creek, sandy branch, spring branch, elm creek and some I'm sure I have missed. Like I said it has been slow but I have learned a lot.
    Granted I don't hit up tournament water during practice. That would just be silly and a huge distraction. I have to focus to get anything accomplished in practice. If I were under pressure to win a tournament it would really mess with my game plan not to mention sore lipping the bass. In the past I just used practice as a sort of gauge to see how many pounds I could catch in a day which usually pushed me to fish all of my favorite spots during practice. Not anymore. I cant say it doesn't bother me when I don't have a good day, but it is secondary. Now I plan my day in advance and spend more time fishing and less time running around "fishing the past". I like to break the lake down into sections. With my new game plan I am able to cover much more water with much less fuel and time. I rarely run during practice. I use that time to fish or graph. As a result the trolling motor has been leaned on pretty hard lately. It's amazing what we learn when we aren't looking to the other end of the lake for our next spot. Just think you might pull up and take off 10 yards before the mother load. If you aren't getting bit ask yourself "why am I fishing this spot"? If you don't know then you might as well take off. If you have a plan or goal in that "spot" or "area" then stay put and execute the plan. You may not catch a fish but you will learn what you need to about that "spot". Then again you might just "knock them on the head"!

How about you? Is practice going your way? Are you learning or just fishing? Have you found them? Do you talk to the bass? Do you think like a bass?

Fish Head

2. Brandon Feltner

Brandon Feltner Well-Known Member

I have fished LBJ 3 times since Christmas. I have caught fish each time. A few good ones but nothing spectacular. I too have broken the lake down and am using my further away days to eliminate water and hopefully dial in closer by T time. I don't like wondering about something during a tournament, so I just spend a bit of time to cross it off the list. When I can catch fish in one area, I try different baits , methods and presentations to see if that changes anything. I also try to duplicate catching in similar areas. After that I move on and try the next thing/place on my list and see how it compares. I do this over and over again until I run out of lake. Some days are more fruitful then others but rather then hammer on the ones I have found, I try to find more or larger ones doing the same thing. Then the next time out, I run the next thing on my list (resisting the urge to go beat on the fish I know of) and see how that compares. My goal is to find the largest concentration, of the biggest fish, that I can catch with the methods I know how to use best and also have an idea of where/what those fish might do upon particular condition changes. (ex. deeper or shallower, aggressive or lethargic) While trying different things, I will go back to where I caught them on occasion to see if it is still happening. If there is a condition change, I might see how that affected those fish or if I need to regroup. Where you caught your last fish is always a good place to start if you get turned around or lost.

I do talk to the bass for instance "Stop jumping, swim down and get on the back side of the boat! Craig and Shawn are staring right at us!"

3. Brandon Feltner

I am also engineering a new bait! An A-Rig attached to one of those scuba diving propulsion things, remote controlled, with built in gps and wifi...can't find anything against it in the rules!
    ...you know I like me some A-Rig!

Strictly Biznuss and rfrisbie like this.
  4. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    LOL, I will say Craig started out throwing what you were throwing and didn't catch a damn thing on it, then we come around the corner and see you trying not to catch anything on the same damn bait. We murmured to ourselves that it must be that bad ass Skeeter that attracts fish and that is has nothing to do with our fishing prowess for not catching anything there despite throwing the same damn thing as you.

5. Brandon Feltner

I really can't fish worth a damn, I just buy bad ass boats that do it for me! "Go with what works for ya", I always say!

6. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    I went twice, one time by myself and found a big ass school on a shallow flat and straight wore them out for an hour and a half. Then I went last week with Chris and caught fish on some of my tournament spots. So not only did I sore lip my fish, I also showed Chris some of my favorite docks to fish. I'm pretty smart....I know.

7. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

Don't know if I will get to practice for LBJ. I generally suck on that lake regardless of whether I practice or not.

I caught a couple of good fish in a spot during the heart of the summer last year and I plan on just going back there and hoping things work out.

8. rfrisbie

rfrisbie Well-Known Member

Definitely good to try new spots. I've fished historical spots but am quicker to leave if it doesn't feel right. Too many tournaments last year where I should have moved to a new spot sooner. Listen to you gut and instincts.

9. rfrisbie

rfrisbie Well-Known Member

I love LBJ because it has potential. However. I have yet to catch a limit.

10. Lowell Mayes

Lowell Mayes Well-Known Member

That sounds like a "plan" I would use. But I'm more of a "donator" than serious competitor. I might show up at the weigh-in to see what's possible, socialize, (and drink free Lone Star).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  11. falcon native

falcon native Member

I fished it this weekend, first day caught fish second day when it was frigid didn't even get a bite. I'm hoping the water will warm up 20 degrees and the grass will top out............

However I still have 5 more trips planned before we kick off TTZ, I too have been breaking the lake down in sections for a couple of years and it seems to work better for.

12. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

This may sound crazy, and I don't want to come across not trying to be competitive because believe me I will give it my all within the constraints of my schedule, but I don't have that big of an issue with being a donator. I am a realist. I am a father of two young girls who need my time. I have an awesome wife who enjoys hanging out with me. I am a solo practitioner (and the sole provider for my family) who has a bunch of clients that really don't care one bit about my bass tournaments. Fishing IS important to me, but I have priorities and obligations that push it down the list. So I do this stuff to have fun and not worry about the winning and losing. Yes winning is fun, but so is the hanging out with my friends, seeing some really good anglers catch some really nice fish, and getting in on free beer and food. I will judge my performance based on the practice I am able to put in an the things I figure out. And you know what? There have been a few times when I just stumble in to something good and who says that can't happen on a tournament day.

To me, TTZ is more than a tournament. It is a social event and excuse to have a good time. If you show up for just the tournament part of the tournament you are really missing out on some good times.

Can't wait!

Pop N Cork, DBarron, Trey and 6 others like this.
  13. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

I graph a lot of water during practice, then when I find fish I will cut the hook off my bait, chunk it in and see if I can get bit. That way I'm not catching and sore lipping all of my fish in practice. (this takes a lot of discipline as I want to catch them but know I shouldn't) I may use a bait with a hook just to get one or two in the boat and see what quality of fish I'm targeting. Then mark a waypoint and move on. Worst thing you can do is hook all your fish in practice and then zero on tournament day. Trust me I have done it more times than not.

14. Chris Coufal

Chris Coufal Well-Known Member

I went once......it sucked. I won't go again until T-Day and then I'll swing hard and probably miss. That's just how I like to roll!

Toadchaser and Chris Baker like this.
  15. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:

This was the plan that Puma and I used at the last LBJ event in May, sometimes it works out....
    [​IMG] \

16. Strictly Biznuss

Strictly Biznuss Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I don't bother "pre-fishing" for tournaments that have a week off limits period. Most of the time it hurts you more than helps you. However, sometimes I will go out just to look and see what available cover / structure there is at the time just so I know what I have to choose from come game day. Trying to pattern fish a week or more before the tournament is useless... usually.

17. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

If you open your mouth, do you resemble a chimney? I done think someone blewed some smoke up yer rear.

18. bDick

bDick Well-Known Member

I will probably start and end practicing the same day, January 24th.

AndrewO and Strictly Biznuss like this.
  19. Pop N Cork

Pop N Cork Well-Known Member

Chris it sounds like you are doing it right. Im a crappie fisherman and some of the same rules apply. I target an area where I know the fish are at and wear that area out. Especially if the bait is in the area. I don't prefish an area I'm going to fish the next day on a trip. There's always an abundance of spots no matter what kind of fish your going after. Sounds like you have a plan and you have done well (of what I've seen) so I'd stick with it.

20. Brandon Feltner

You have been in the Far East too long! It is pronounced, "blowed dat dere smoke up yee ol' A-hole". Just making sure you get your honky correct.