LBJ Results and Questions 4-11-2016

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Weston Hannasch, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Weston Hannasch

Weston Hannasch New Member

Hey,

First post here but decided to make an account, give a little fishing report, and hopefully get some advise.

Went out to Lake LBJ for the first time today. Spent about 5 hours fishing and another hour just cruising around exploring the lake. I was able to pick up two bass pretty quick when we got there around 10am on a swim jig (1.5lbs and 1.8lbs). Then another late in the afternoon on a chatterbait (2.6lbs). All released back to the lake.

Everything I picked up on the graph was at about 6' but I couldn't produce the strike. I tried crankbaits, swimjigs, skipping docks, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits.

The water was crystal clear in some spots up to about 3'. Average water temp was about 68. Sunny skies.

I would like to throw my thought process out there and see if anyone can throw out any suggestions to improve it. I always have fished once or twice a year since I was a kid, but have only now had the time and boat to really pursue it for the last 2 months so I am very new to the game. I am very much enjoying learning and trying to figure out where the bass should be and how to get them on the boat.

We put in on the south side of the lake near the dam. First thing on the water I wanted to try skipping docks with a jig as the lake I normally fish (Canyon) doesn't give me a chance. I have been practicing my technique at a local pond so I just aimed for the first set of docks I could find and took off. Coasting in I notice a ton of fish sitting at about 6' deep in about 8-12' of water. I decide to start here and try a red/orange crankbait which hits that depth and no luck. Switch to a shad color swim jig with watermelon trailer and pick up two hits within about 15 casts of each other. Kept trying this for a bit but no further luck.

Move on to some docks for skipping. Improved my skill a bit, but no hits.

Move on to check out some more of the lake and deeper water, see more at 6' but can't get any more hits.

Found some great water towards the end where we could visually see a few bass and a bunch of perch and baitfish. Decided to throw a chatterbait right over the submerged (hydrilla?) grass line and eventually get a solid 2.5lb bass. I feel like a jerkbait would have been a good choice too with all the schools of bait everywhere but not sure.

Damn this turned into a long post. Ill end it here with a few pics.

Thanks,
    Wes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John D. Ward likes this.
  2. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Very nice. Not bad at all. Next time try a weightless Senko or Fluke. Also a buzz bait or Frog over the grass. And in the clear water cast way ahead of you or way under a dock. Swim bait should work well too. I don't know about the fish at 6', it could have been any species, some of the best fisherman on that lake never fish deeper than 5'. Good Luck!

Weston Hannasch likes this.
  3. RadAr

RadAr Member

i want your dog...!!!...i have a place on LBJ but it's on the other end of the river, up near Inks Lake on the north side of Kingsland...more RIVER than LAKE...i have a canal on the back side of my place...black/blue ocho rigged wacky works good for me under boat docks...caught this 5.7 lb'er in my canal on a crappie jig...thought i'd foul hookt a carp
    8.20.15.1.5lbs7ozs..JPG LBJ canal.jpg

4. Weston Hannasch

Weston Hannasch New Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to put in more practice with the senko. I usually go worth texas or MOJO rigged but all the grass seemed to cause problems for me there. I'll try some weightless senko next time under the docks and buzz baits over the top of the grass.

Would you say the top water early/late and the docks when the sun starts heating things up?

Hopefully I can peice together enough knowledge and practice to participate in the tourney trail next year.

Thanks!

John D. Ward likes this.
  5. aggiegreg

aggiegreg Well-Known Member

Yes to your questions...good luck!