Lil boxes of wine

Discussion in 'TTZ Lounge' started by John D. Ward, Oct 20, 2015.

1. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    TDub touched on this last night in his ramblings post but I felt like we needed a full on thread dedicated to boxes of wine. For those of you in the know, little boxes of wine can be enjoyed just about anywhere. You don't need a bottle opener, and if poured in a cup with ice you can take it just about anywhere and people don't seem to mind. Heck the chardonnay looks like apple juice in a cup of ice. Yes whether its shopping at HEB, getting a hair cut, buying tackle at Academy, clothes shopping with your wife at the mall, walking the kiddos to the park down the road, whatever, a nice little chilled glass of wine can make your day.

With that being said where do you start, how do I know if my hobo wine is good or not?

Well let's start at the top, when you can, look for the Vendange Chardonnay. This is your go to lil box of wine, it is soft and smooth with hints of apple, pear and oak (Alc. 13.0% by vol). At 7-11 they sell 2 boxes for $7, Walgreens sometimes has them for $3.50 a box or lower, and HEB is your winner at $2.99 per box. 7-11 works well, you can grab 2 for $7 and a big gulp cup of ice for 25 cents. That's a party just waiting to happen.
    [​IMG]
    A very close second is the Rooster. Sadly most gas stations will not carry this wine, you will probably only find it in HEB, and since you are at HEB you might as well get the Vendange. But the Rooster is darn fine cheap hobo wine, I give it 2 thumbs up and slap on the back.
    [​IMG]

Alas, Vendange or the Rooster are not always available. Some place don't even offer the lil boxes of wine. Instead you may be faced with a decision on little bottles of screw off wine. Don't worry though, you won't be far off with Sutter Home mini chardonnay bottles. You are going to want to pour this on ice and let it sit for a minute. It's much better chilled, as it is not quite as smooth as the Vendange. In a pinch it will serve you well, and just about all gas stations will have this or the lil boxes available.
    [​IMG]

If there is no Vendange, no Rooster, and no lil Sutter Home, then you might just have to take a boat ride down Liberty Creek. The price is usually pretty good on the creek, sometimes you can find it in gas stations or Walgreens from $3-$3.50 per box. I've seen it as low as $2.75 on sale at Walgreens. The creek is a little bit rougher ride, you are going to need ice for sure. This like most boxed chardonnays is not about tasting a fine wine, it's about drinking cheap stuff when you are ready to party. So keep that in mind and enjoy the freedom flavor of Liberty Creek!

[​IMG]

Now you may find yourself at HEB saying hey why don't I spend like 50 cents or a 1 dollar more and get a little bota box or a black box, you know something not quite as hobo? Well don't fall for that trap. There are two things that money can not buy in the world of lil boxes of wine, classiness or flavor. Go with the cheap stuff, stay your lane, and you will be glad you did.

goodner171, DBarron, Trey and 5 others like this.
  2. NjTexan

NjTexan Well-Known Member

Sage words of advice. Thank you for setting the path for all to see.
    I follow the almost the same progression with Cabernet for home every night consumption ..only substituting Barefoot in the big bottles as first choice.

Any one can find a good bottle of wine for 50 bucks. It's finding the 10 bucks/big bottle or the 2/7 bucks boxes, in an easy drinking wine that takes skill and perseverance.

John D. Ward and Trey like this.
  3. Kyle Jud

Kyle Jud Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    What's your take on little boxes of red? I generally prefer a purple teeth party. I just got a sweet wine fridge for my kitchen, so I'm looking to expand my collection a bit. The fridge only holds bottles, but I like where you're going with the boxed convenience store purchases. How many servings will a Yeti rambler hold?

Trey likes this.
  4. Kyle Jud

Home Page:
    I've never tried the Rooster, but it looks pretty damn mean. I'm keeping an eye out for it...

5. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

6. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Oh no sir, stay away from the Bandit, way too pricey!

Puma get you a couple of the Rooster's in a Pinot Noir and and Cab Sav. These are both good cheap red wines, can't go wrong. I like the Pinot myself.

[​IMG]

cheap and delicious!

If you are feeling like you need the oaky flavor get the cab..
    [​IMG]

Get you some boxes of these at HEB for easy travel companions.

7. Kyle Jud

Home Page:
    Fuckin' A... I'm goin' wine shopping tonight.

Trey likes this.
  8. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

I got hammered on wine last night because it was Tuesday.

9. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

I thought only Harvard grads and Homos drank wine. For me it's like eating persimmons. Just awful!

10. FatBastard

FatBastard Active Member

black box wine works for me. buddy of mine from one of my old restaurants who is in the wine biz recommended this one. $15 bucks for bout 15 glasses. pretty good shit

upload_2015-10-21_7-0-19.jpeg

NjTexan likes this.
  11. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:

Yes barefoot is my go to big bottle chardonnay, it's quite good. What I don't get is at my HEB the 750 ml bottole of barefoot chard are like $5. The big bottle which is 1.5L is $12. It's cheaper to get two 750s, which doesn't make sense to me.

If you are lucky and you stumble upon this in a gas station, go ahead and grab it. Usually around $5.50 for 4 pack of 187s is a tasty deal...

[​IMG]

12. AndrewO

Interesting observation, the shadier the HEB the better the box wine selection. Went to the GhettoB for a quick couple of items instead of the new money 620 HEB and was blown away by the selection. Heck even the Bandit was a good .75 cheaper at the GhettoB. Imagine that....

13. AndrewO

Also, if you are going big bottle of wine there is a wine called Kitchen Sink. It is far and away the best $5-6 wine I have had.

John T Mc and NjTexan like this.
  14. NjTexan

NjTexan Well-Known Member

Kitchen Sink...I will try that for sure.
    I'm really starting to like all the life useful information this site is providing.

Trey, chuck ware and John D. Ward like this.
  15. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think y'all are serious.

16. Waylon Papst

Waylon Papst Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Oh it's for real. John boy takes his box wine game very seriously.

chuck ware, NjTexan and John D. Ward like this.
  17. John T Mc

John T Mc Well-Known Member

Good stuff on boxed wine. I probably have 3K worth of bottles in my house right now, not including the 2 bottles me and the wife drank last night. ;)

That being said, the 'wine industry' always poo poo'd the box wines. Hobo wine is a good choice of words as to how they still feel about it today. The REALITY of it is this. Back in the day, boxed wine was terrible because the technology wasn't there. They have fixed this problem. So now more and more companies are putting a more premium wine in boxes. Why?...,
    - lasts longer (an open box can last 6 to 8 weeks in refrigerator. Bottle wine... 5 days tops);
    -ultimately better value due to the no overhead in high cost materials (glass, corks, screw tops, foils etc...)
    - Durability and cleanliness; wine bibs are food grade plastic and lots of things can go wrong in the bottling process for wine...can you said "cork taint".
    - Eco friendly to please the hippies

A less than $20 bottle of wine is their market. The one downside is wine doesn't age in a box like a bottle. But if you're like me, your every day wine doesn't cost anymore than $20. I'm not trying to age a $20 bottle of wine...

All that being said, I have 2 in my refrigerator at home. It was a little strange pouring it out of the little spigot into my wine glass for dinner at first, but for the price, convenience etc... I got over it.

So... HUGE FAN of boxed wine. If I wasn't so hungover today, I would drink some tonight...

Trey, Gary Brownell and NjTexan like this.
  18. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

19. Gary Brownell

Gary Brownell Well-Known Member

I like wine so it doesn't matter if it is a box.

NjTexan likes this.
  20. HarleyRockstar

HarleyRockstar Well-Known Member

Probably been ten years but my old standby was the 5 liter box of franzia fruity red sangria. Pool or rooftop parties with this stuff chilled, on the rocks or even with fruit in it were great. Have to buy a box now for a trip down memory lane. I am guessing it will taste a lot different now!