Lowrance Elite 9 Chirp

Discussion in 'Rods - Reels - Tackles - Electronics' started by Chris Baker, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Hello Lowrance experts. I am thinking of upgrading my boat to include a 3rd finder/chart plotter. My thought is to move the hds 9 gen 2 from the bow to the helm to give me twice the screens so I can see the side images and such more clearly. I have looked into the options when it comes to replacing the bow unit. I'm leaning towards an Elite 9 Chirp. The unit can be networked to share info, it comes with Lake Insight Pro (on a chip), and the down scan transducer for $799. The only complaint I have heard is that the map doesn't upgrade quick enough when you zoom in. I don't know if that matters to me since I'll only be going trolling motor speed and would only zoom in once in a while. I'll also be adding a Point-1 antennae. Let me know what you guys think.

2. Chris Baker

Or another HDS 9 gen 2 touch (no transducer) for $1499 and a Spotlight Scan transducer for an additional $499 would be better if it were in budget. But please if you have input let's hear it.

3. Chris Coufal

Chris Coufal Well-Known Member

Here is my take: If you are going to spend $1500, you can easily find a Gen2 12 Touch without xducers for $1500 new. The spotlight scan is crap. The only good thing it offers is an amazing downscan on the trolling motor. Outside of that it's a waste of money. I saw a vendor on BBC or TFF selling the Spotlight xducer the other day for just over $200. I really think it all boils down to what you want to do with the 3rd unit. I run a 12 up front and a 12 & 10 on the console. My 10 is used solely for my map card so that at all times I can see where I'm at in relationship to contours, waypoints and hazards. This eliminates a split screen reducing image size and eliminates toggling back and forth. With 2 on the console I can run one just for 2D, DS and SS. I personally will never run a boat without 2 on the console.....just easier to do what I need to do. Some folks don't require, desire or need that much.

So back to my original question: What are you wanting to use the 2 graphs on the console for? If you already have the HDS9 on the bow and console, I'd add a 9 or a 12 on the side with a mount and dedicate it solely for scanning. Bigger is better when running that setup. When you try to squeeze too many screens in a split, it reduces everything. I personally run a 3-way screen with 2D/Downscan up top and SS the entire bottom. This ensures my range isn't compromised or squished. If you have specific questions...give me a shout.

shot004.png

Chris Baker likes this.
  4. Chris Coufal

BTW....The insight map card is junk (or has been the past few years)......stick with Navionics. Just my opinion.

5. Chris Coufal

As far as the point-1, it depends on your fishing style. The internal antenna refreshes at 5X per second on the Gen 2's. The Point-1 and new Gen 3's refresh at 10X per second. Let's do the math here:

If you are traveling at 40mph on the water, you are moving 58ft per second.
    If the unit updates at 5X per second you are moving roughly 10.8ft between each update.
    If the unit updates at 10X per second then you are moving roughly 5.8ft between each update. Does 5ft really matter when traveling?

With that being said, the Point-1 offers some great benefits as a compass (which basically it's just an over priced compass). Using a unit with internal antenna, it can not determine a heading without moving 3mph or more. So if you are trying to fish a waypoint offshore without any references to triangulate, it becomes difficult. The mapcard with flip, flop and spin everywhere as it tries to determine what direction you are pointed. The point one has a heading sensor that gives a constant heading for your boat no matter the speed. It doesn't matter if you like to use "North up" or "Heading up" on your chart, it always accurately reflects your position. This becomes VERY beneficial when fishing structure offshore because you can line the heading extension up on the waypoint and cast from the front of the boat and duplicate the same cast every time. I personally like to make WP's around my target. Then I make a sit spot so that when I position the boat on top of the sit spot, I can line my heading extension up on that group of WP's and make the EXACT cast every single time. You can take it a step further and use the measure tool on the graph and make sit spots all the way around the target so that no matter the wind direction......you can always position yourself to hit that target. Does that make sense?

I am a huge fan of the point-1.....but I like to fish stuff that a lot of people drive right over.

Chris Baker likes this.
  6. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    Thanks for the clarification. I spent an hour in my boat trying to figure out why Brad's unit shows the line to which he is heading and mine doesnt and we have the same units. We're able to line up on offshore spots so much quicker with his.

Chris Baker likes this.
  7. Chris Coufal

Shawn, you have to go into settings and enable heading or course extension for each unit. This can be done without a Point-1 antenna. As long as the boat is moving it works flawlessly. The problem lies when you are not moving and fishing a WP.....The map constantly flips as it tries to determine North and what direction you are heading.

The heading extension is basically the direction the front of the boat is headed
    The course extension is the course or direction the boat is moving

There is a difference in the two: If the boat is moving forward then the 2 extensions should line up. However, if you are facing nose North and there is a South wind pushing you......then the heading would face North and the course you are drifting would cause the course extension to face South. Does that make sense? I rarely use the course extension unless I am drifting a flat and want to ensure I drift on a certain area of it to align a cast.

To enable heading extension, do this: Settings, Chart, turn heading extension on
    I like to make mine 1 mile.

Chris Baker likes this.
  8. Chris Baker

Dude, Chris, you are the man. You answered my questions and then some. Very good info! I will be saving $ for a 12". The point-1 will be happening before we get to Buchanan for sure! I love off shore and hate the built in antennae. But I am not convinced on the Spotlight Scan. Have you used it? I like that when you point it at a target with the foot peddle you can see it, like a ledge or brush pile. I also must have down scan up front anyway, looking at the rear transducer in the front is useless information since it is behind me by 20', maybe more.

9. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    Thanks! This will save me so much time. Instead of idling around for 5 minutes continuously missing the waypoint, then to discover there are no fish in the brushpile anyway, now I can hit it on the first pass.

10. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

I have a Point-1 antenna waiting on an install (need to get the NMEA network and install it). Was hoping to get it on before Buchanan, but might not. It takes me awhile to build up the stones to start drilling into the fiberglass on the BCPC.....

Lowell Mayes likes this.
  11. AndrewO

I am 99% sure you can get a transducer for the Elite 7 (I think that is the unit) and run down scan and 2D from your front sonar. You won't have side scan, but that is a minor issue IMHO. You'd have to have the trolling motor on high to get any sort of useful images from side scan.

12. Chris Coufal

Chris, I've used David's on his Skeeter and I'm not impressed. The images are smeared and grainy. Some people might find it useful, but I found it to be gimmicky and a shoddy product to answer HB's 360. You have to have perfect balance of pedal control to get a halfway decent image to even see "something".....and then you have to try and determine what that something is. Also when using spotlight scan you can not use point 1 on that front unit......another poor thought out feature. The spotlight has a built in position sensor that uses the nmea port.

13. Chris Coufal

Andrew.....it's a 1/2" hole......just do it. If you need help figuring how many "T's" you need, let me know. It's sorta confusing.

14. AndrewO

Thanks, I have a diagram somewhere on my computer. I just need to get the wiring right so that when I power down my HDS units the antenna shuts off too (so I am not drawing power when storing my boat).

15. Chris Coufal

The NMEA has power run to it. You tie it into the same accessory source your FF is tied into. It's only one when master switch is on.

16. Chris Coufal