Lowrance Structure Scan

Discussion in 'Rods - Reels - Tackles - Electronics' started by Chris Baker, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

I can't believe I can't figure this out but I need some help. About 3 weeks ago my structure scan quit working. The screen is black on side image and only very faintly shows the bottom on down image. I called Lowrance and went through 3 phone calls and around 2 hours of troubleshooting and explaining about the Skeeter warranty along with updated the software, resetting the units, etc. I finally got them to send me a replacement transducer. I installed it, which was very difficult, and it didn't help at all. So next I moved my newer graph, gen 3, from the front to the dash and plugged the SS HD into it and still nothing. Then I disconnected the network cable as a shot in the dark and nothing. If you know these units I would be willing to pay you to go to the lake with me and get it going again. Cough, Cough, Coufal.... My other choice, dealer warranty, would suck and it would leave me without a boat for a month which would mean no practice for Belton or Buch. I'll also take you to either lake and show you some good water!!!

Chris Baker 15127855875

2. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

Your first issue definitely sounds like a bad transducer.

When you plugged in the transducer did you make sure the source selection wasn't changed around? When I got my unit it was not picking up my LSS-1 until I changed the source and now it works like a charm.

Also, have you tried doing a soft reset and updating your software for the units?

3. Toadchaser

Toadchaser Well-Known Member

I can only tell you I am ready to throw mine in the lake. One week it works fine, the next it won't graph. Then the next it works fine, the next it sits frozen. I have had it on the boat for a while (2 years) and Lowrance's idea of trouble shooting it is for you to send it to them and for $300.00 they will tell you if they can fix it. If not, your shit out of luck. Their recommendation was for me to locate another used transducer, which I did, for $200.00, put it on, it worked for 3 weeks straight and then nada, then it worked, now it doesn't. Sorry for highjacking the thread but I am pissed. I was not born with a silver spoon and shit like this is hard to come by for the working man. Rant over

NjTexan and Chris Baker like this.
  4. AndrewO

That definitely sucks, Todd. Have you updated the software? Sounds like it might be a software issue.

Pop N Cork likes this.
  5. Toadchaser

Yes, problem appears to be in the lss2. But I am not sure. Blinking light where the transducer plugs in means the box can't sense the transducer. But then it does, and then it won't. Each trip out is a roll of the dice

6. AndrewO

Maybe it is your box going bad or a loose connection. Have you tried plugging the structure scan transducer directly into your unit?

7. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

Have you tried to switch out the Lowrance for a Humminbird or Garmin. Just sayin.... :rolleyes:

lglass and Toadchaser like this.
  8. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Well shoot yesterday while I was getting the boat ready for the tournament I unplugged all of the wires, reset defaults, and auto configured the units and now it's working fine. I had already done all of this once but either way it's working now.

AndrewO and Toadchaser like this.
  9. Toadchaser

Its a gen 2 HDS. I don't think you can plug it directly into it. Has to go through the LSS2 unless I am missing something.

10. Toadchaser

Already spent a fortune on this, no money left to just go out and buy another system.

goodner171 likes this.
  11. AndrewO

If it is not a touch unit, then yes you have to use one of the boxes.

12. AndrewO

Another possibility is that your ethernet cable from the box to the unit is going bad. Have you tried plugging the transducer into the other input plug?

13. Toadchaser

yes. Its not in the ethernet. its at the LSS2. the guy at lowrance acknowledges its the LSS2 or the transducer. I went the transducer route cause it was cheaper. Short story I think I will have to replace the LSS2. Peace

14. AndrewO

Todd, check BBC. There are used LSS1 and LSS2 boxes for sale all the time on there. FWIW, I am still running the LSS1 on my units (HDS 12 Gen 2 Touch and HDS 8 Gen 2) and I am getting really good images. I think the only downside is that I don't get the extra wide range you can get with the LSS2 system. Hope this helps!

Toadchaser likes this.
  15. AndrewO

16. AndrewO

17. Toadchaser

Thanks Andrew. I think I will have to do that. But I have had both LSS2 and LSS1 and the LSS2 definitely sharper HD image. If yours is working fine for you that's what really matters.

18. AndrewO

I won't deny the HD stuff works well and I have seen some amazing images on it. I am a cheap ass, sort of.

Toadchaser likes this.
  19. Toadchaser

No More than me brother, that's why i am on here crying......lol

20. Toadchaser

So, I went to Travis Sunday morning and the dang thing worked. It's got to have an intermittent gremlin in the LSS. I think I will get one off eBay or something.