LT 10/8

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by KC_Crow, Oct 8, 2016.

1. KC_Crow

KC_Crow Active Member

IMG_0370.JPG Air Temp: FREAKIN AWESOME
    Water Temp: 79-80

Put in at Cypress just before sunup. Didn't see any surface action idling out past the marina but I had made up my mind the night before I was gonna fish top water first thing. First cast with the ol trusty Pop-R and got a toilet flush at the bait before the first twitch. Fish just flat missed it. For once I absolutely did not pull the bait away too quick because I was dickin around with a cigarette. LOL. 20 minutes later not another sniff but the wife had boated two dragging her tx rigged wooly hawgtail.

I changed to a Pointer and fished it for 15 minutes or so and nada. Grabbed the fluke rod and then it was game on. Ended up catching 8 in the next hour and a half. Wife ended up with 4. Fish were in the BACKS of cuts and sloughs. All but a couple were caught in 3-6 f.o.w. Quality got better the farther back in we went. Nothing to write home about...best 5 would go 12-13lbs and were all nice healthy clones of the one in the thumbnail. Was nice to break the dinkfest rut we had been in. Absolutely beautiful morning to be on the lake.

Had an interesting visit with a kayaker as he was paddling out of some flooded trees in the back of a slough. He had two beautiful stripers in tow on a stringer. Said he caught them in the very back of the slough in less than 2 feet of water. No way we could have gotten back in there in our boat. He said there was about a dozen or so of them and he just dangled a white fluke out in front of them and they nailed it. Said he was unsure if the limit on them was 2 or 3. Told him I thought it was 5 but googled it for him to be sure. Once we verified it was 5 he turned around and headed back to try for more. I never would have guessed there would have been stripers balled up like that back there. Don't know for sure but I suspect there may have been some moving/flowing water?

I'm gonna head back out in the morning and give it another go!

2. KC_Crow

KC_Crow Active Member

Went back out this morning from 7:30-11:30. What a difference a day makes. Freakin Dead Sea. Managed two dinks in Bee Creek. Nothing in Cypress, Sandy, Devil's.

Ran across Joe Bill in Hurst Creek and he wasn't killing them either, so that made me feel better. LOL

Best part of the day was being able to run WOT from Cypress to Bee Creek. Lake was nice and flat with a perfect chop.