Matagorda July 9th-11th, TTZ Gets Salty

Discussion in 'Saltwater Reports' started by John D. Ward, Aug 11, 2015.

1. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Little late on this report, but what the heck. Some of the fellas headed down to Matty for a few days last month. We stayed at the Saltgrass Lodge, which was very nice and close to where we were launching in east bay. The caravan headed down Thursday mid day and we got to the coast in time to head out for a little quick fishing Thursday. We just went right there in the intracoastal and used some shrimp, caught some little drum, rat reds, sheepshead and the ubiquitous hardheads. We ran to the edge of the east bay right at sunset and caught some under trout as well. Basically we were just goofing off and wanted to see some salt before our Friday morning trip.

Friday morning we headed out in a few different boats. Some folks went out with guides, I went out with Chuck, Waylon, and Ty (Rooster's son) in Chuck's boat. We did some drifts in east bay with popping corks and shrimp catching a little bit of everything. Basically we crushed beers and made each other cry from cutting up. On the way down we were talking about how Hammers (bad ass anglers) and joking about that. The previous night while on Chuck's boat we were telling Ty he has Hammer Jr., and that name kind of stuck. Friday morning at 7:15am I heard Waylon say, "hey Hammer Jr. since you aren't doing anything other than fishing right now could you grab your Uncle Waylon a beer." I knew then it was going to be a great day.

We spent the better part of the day catching all kinds of fish, and the only rule on our boat was no net. So yes we were boat flipping everything, including flounders. I'm not sure why, but boat flipping flounders is about the funniest thing to behold. Mostly we caught under trout, so many under trout. We went in for lunch, then headed back out at sunset to goof off in the intracoastal canals just for fun again. Here are some pics from that Friday...

Lil red
    [​IMG]
    Booker and Rooster kept zipping up and down the canals, somebody was like a kid in the candy store up in the tower...
    [​IMG]
    Here we are goofing off around sunset boat flipping flounders
    [​IMG]
    Trying to be serious
    [​IMG]
    Then the beer got the best of me
    [​IMG]
    Sorry I don't have a lot of pics, mostly just the ones I had people take for me. I'm sure other's can come in and provide some better photos.

Saturday morning we headed back out with two guide boats, and one crew on Chuck's boat. Once again it was Chuck, Waylon, Hammer Jr and I on the Majek. Our day started off with a little bit of hiccup, the bait shop at the ramp was out of shrimp. So we just sucked it up and put gulp shrimp on 1/8th oz jig heads and made the best of it. We caught fewer fish on the gulp, but we caught more keeper reds and keeper trout. It was another glorious day and when we headed in around 11am we had a pretty good haul.

Here is our crew with the Saturday morning haul:
    [​IMG]
    first row left to right: Ty, Lindsey, Brayden, Grant, Rooster
    back row left to right: Booker, Dale, Chuck, Me, Waylon, Jake

Here are some more pics from Saturday
    [​IMG]
    Hammer Jr with a trout:
    [​IMG]
    I think this was the big trout of the weekend, I boat flipped the crap out of the 22incher
    [​IMG]

We finished off our day Saturday out at the jetties, hanging out, telling fishing stories, watching the Colorado river dump into the Gulf. I laughed so much that evening I was crying every few minutes. It was a great day.

Colorado flowing into gulf
    [​IMG]

The crew living the jetty life:
    [​IMG]

Kodak moment, stop trying to hold my hand Waylon!
    [​IMG]
    \
    Not sure if anybody fished Sunday or not, I got up that morning and headed back to Austin before my wife killed me.

PS while writing up this report I noticed today was Aug 11th, aka my wedding anniversary (14 years), I'll be spending it fishing TTZ Lake Travis Tuesday. Opps, I forgot. I better head to the store right now to buy some flowers and jewelry. Wish me luck.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    Bassectomy, Barrett, DBarron and 8 others like this.
  2. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Oh and I had a Texas Slam, so I got that going for me.

Pop N Cork likes this.
  3. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Great report. I love Matagorda.

4. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Dog days of summer are never the best for me at the coast, but we had a lot of fun. I can't wait to get back.

5. Waylon Papst

Waylon Papst Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Nice write up buddy. That was one hell of a trip!

6. Waylon Papst

Home Page:
  7. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Also crisis adverted on the anniversary situation. I went to Macys and the jewelry counter lady told me Friday is a massive one day sale. You can prebuy today and pick up Friday. Found a really nice pair of 2 inch hammered 14k gold hoops, really thick, for $1300, the sale price was only $390. Texted a pic of them to my wife and said Happy Anniversary!!! She said they were perfect and match her style to a T, she couldn't be happier.

Made a quick stop next door at Dicks to get more senkos. Then I hopped over to Whole Foods in the Domain for the finishing touches. When she gets home she will find a vase of a dozen yellow roses (her favorite flower), a box of milk chocolate toffee sea salt candies (also her favorite), and a really nice card with a hand written note. The Domain saved my anniversary in a matter of minutes, and of course, I still got the senkos.

#whatacountry

8. Kevin Z

Kevin Z Well-Known Member

Good times at the coast for sure ....sis waas just like Booker .....said she didnt want to drive untill she got up there IMG_20150710_074726.jpg

9. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    I woke up from that nap and put on an excellent round two that evening. Really rallied and got out there and boat flipped the hell out of some flounder. #secondwind

[​IMG]

TheDonger and Pop N Cork like this.
  10. GrantM

GrantM Member

Wise man once told me "you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"

11. chuck ware

chuck ware Well-Known Member

I love how I'm holding that red like I've done something. #breakfastbeers

Best weekend ever. My sides have just recently recovered from all the laughing. Screw big fish.... Boat flipping barely keeper flounder is my new favorite thing. In the world.

P.S. God I miss sweet little Hammer Jr...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  12. Redneck101

Redneck101 Active Member

That's the truth

Do you boys freeze those flounder fillets? I heard they are only good fresh

13. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    We just gut them and I'm sure most got eaten pretty quickly. I have one left over and I froze the whole thing. I'll let you know after I thaw it out and grill it.

14. Waylon Papst

Home Page:
    Sporting the pinky ring.. Like a boss.

15. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    I mean if you are going to wear a pinky ring it might as well be a giant 14k gold one with your initials engraved in it.

16. Kevin Z

Kevin Z Well-Known Member

#legendinhisownmind

BrianB likes this.