MinnKota Ultrex and Lowrance

Discussion in 'Rods - Reels - Tackles - Electronics' started by Shawn T, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    I spent 3 days this past weekend running a boat with a MinnKota Ulterra w/iPilot and quickly realized my previous want for the Ultrex has become a need.

Does anyone know what features you miss out on by having Lowrance graphs? SpotLock should still work which is really all I want. However, if you miss out on cool stuff by having Lowrance, I'm assuming any Humminbird with gps should fill the void?

2. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

I am right there with you, and I have a three month old Fortrex.

From what I can tell, the remote that comes with the Ultrex will let you save 5 spot lock locations and will give you plenty of the options with the jog features, etc. Also, the puck that comes with it will give you the better SpotLock accuracy they are touting. If I can swing an Ultrex within the next year or so I do not plan on switching to Hummingbird graphs.

3. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    So it seems I can get the Ultrex without "Link" and save $400 and only lose the feature to follow depth contours and return to waypoints. But then on the one without Link it says it has a recall feature so that it can go back to 1 of 6 stores spots.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Minn_Kota_Ultrex_i-Pilot_Link_Trolling_Motor/descpage-REX.html

This one is without Link.
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Minn_Kota_Ultrex_i-Pilot_Trolling_Motor/descpage-REXI.html

BTW, TW is running 15% off so when I added the bottom one to my cart it came out to $1997 for the 36V 112lb with 52" shaft.

Toadchaser, Craig C and Pop N Cork like this.
  4. AndrewO

It will probably be in 2017 that I can fit this into my budget....

5. Toadchaser

Toadchaser Well-Known Member

I have the terrova with link thinking I would eventually change to the HB setup. I really only find I need the spot lock. Jog back is ok, but I have become very adept at understanding the little right and left arrows on the foot pedal, which comes in real handy during rough water. Lots of guys complain about it but they just haven't taken the time to understand how easy it is to operate. You will find out its an experience mounting it to your boat though! LOL, still totally worth it. Good Luck!

6. AndrewO

On the mounting question, I hear the Ultrex uses the same mount as a Foretrex and technically all you have to do is undo that one screw to swap out the motors themselves to put the motor on your boat. Yeah your mount might say Foretrex instead of Ultrex, but given what a PITA it was to swap out motors on the BCPC, I can live with that....

Toadchaser likes this.
  7. bDick

bDick Well-Known Member

I'm not nearly anal enough to care about that.. Coufal on the other hand... All I know is I'm about it have a brand new boat and within 72 hours of owning it, it's going to probably have fish blood already on the carpet! I'm going to let others guinea pig the trolling motor, but it appears to be a good one.

Chris Coufal likes this.
  8. Chris Coufal

Chris Coufal Well-Known Member

LMAO....BDick!

I want the spot lock BAD......but the reality is that I will buy a used 112 Fortrex off one of you cheap bastards for a steal so you can get the Ultrex! Let me know what you want for it....I'll remind you I'm broke!

bDick likes this.
  9. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

Only thing you may miss out on is things like follow the contour feature. you can select a target depth and run that depth automatically via your lakemaster map chip. Example I want to target 10FOW and head west. your trolling motor will hold that line and keep you in 10 FOW following the contour that is mapped at the speed you want to go. No guessing it will follow the 10' contuour or whatever depth you select. Other than that no real advantage to having ipilot linked to the Bird. Spot lock kicks major ass though. The windier the better as long as your batteries hold up.