Need boat mechanic Dallas area.

Discussion in 'Boats' started by goodner171, Dec 29, 2015.

1. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

I was installing a switch to protect my accessories from water/ overload and I accidentally touched the drill to the positive lead on my battery as I was drilling a screw into the battery compartment to hold the switch. Well..... having an aluminum boat I pretty much sent voltage to everything grounded in my boat (for about 2-3 seconds). Saw a little smoke come from somewhere around the motor (it was dark) and now the boat wont start. Checked all fuses and didn't see anything apparent that was burned up. Accessory panel wont even light up when the key is turned on. Anyone know a good boat mechanic around the Mckinney area that may be able to help me out? Thanks in advance. I don't think it's anything major, probably just burnt a ground wire up somewhere that needs to be tracked down and fixed, but I don't have time during the day to do it, or the want when I get home from work. I'm in mckinney. 380 and Custer.

Thanks,
    Grant

2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I hear good things about Rockwall Marine but have never used them. For the service work I have had done, I used a shop out by Lake Fork, Service Marine. I realize it's a haul but they were significantly less expensive and acted like they actually wanted to acquire a new customer, which is sometimes lost on DFW boat dealers. Plus, you can wrap a fishing trip on Fork when you pick up your boat, so that doesn't suck.

goodner171 and Waylon Papst like this.
  3. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

Thanks TDub. It really is Bullshit when you have to drive and hour plus to drop a boat to a mechanic around here. With so many lakes around here you would think there would be more shops around. If I'm going to have to drive anyway, I might as well make it to Fork. Not a bad idea at all.

4. Timberlake

Timberlake Well-Known Member

Yeah, Tommy at Rockwall marine will get you set up. He is a straight shooter, used to get all my boat work done there when I lived in Rockwall.

Take the GB tollroad over from 75 to get you onto I30 East, it will save you a sh*tload of time.

goodner171 likes this.
  5. bDick

bDick Well-Known Member

You don't have to drive even close to an hour, but if you want a reputable mechanic you do. Bruce Tucker at BPS grapevine is pretty much the man!