New Abu Fan

Discussion in 'Rods - Reels - Tackles - Electronics' started by AndyN, Oct 10, 2012.

1. AndyN

AndyN New Member

Home Page:
    I've been fishing with the Revo MGX for six months now and have decided this Revo is the tits...and that says a lot coming from a die hard Daiwa fan.  I tend to over think things when it comes to tackle and prefer all my reels to be of the same make, once I bought my first Daiwa TDZ 103H in 2006 I dumped all my Shimanos and went to the dark side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still think Daiwa makes the best reel on the market in the Steez, but after the price increase from $399.99 in 2006 to $599.99 this year things started to get a bit ridiculous and I began searching for a more affordable reel.  Enter the Abu Garcia Revo MGX.

There are three things I look for in a typical baitcaster:

1. Light weight (sub 6 ozs)

2. High speed retrieve (7.0:1 or higher)

3. External brakes

The MGX SHS comes in at 5.4 ozs, has a 7.9:1 gear ratio with 31 inches per turn and in addition to its centrifugal brake system offers an external adjustment to tune the reel without opening the sideplate.  At a MSRP of $349.95 it's pretty much a broke man's Steez and actually resembles the Steez in more ways than the black finish and swept handle.

It's difficult to put into words what a reel feels like in your hands, but the MGX is like an extension of your hand with its low profile shape and ultra light weight. And just because it's light doesn't mean it's not durable.  Granted I've only had the reel for six months, but it's been heavily rained on and fully submerged underwater and has not needed to be cleaned, oiled or greased.  Casting is on par with the Steez and I can skip a dock effortlessly with a backwards roll cast. I primarily fish 1/8-3/16 oz TX rigs with this reel but have casted baits as light as 1/16 oz with ease.  The 12 lbs of max drag is more than enough to handle those green trash fish and is silky smooth with micro clicking adjustments.

Only time will tell if the MGX will earn a place among the Steez and Core 50Mg7; I've also owned a couple of Core 50s and my initial reaction is to rank the MGX just below the Steez and above the Core 50.  Once you consider the price difference in relation to the Steez the MGX is the obvious choice and still favored over the Core.  Don't get me wrong, the Core 50Mg7 is a fine reel but I just can't get over Shimano's lack of an external brake adjustment.

The new Revo line looks solid from the bottom up and I am currently on my third MGX.  

[​IMG]

I'm a tackle snob and if you are in the market for a new baitcaster I'd suggest taking a serious look at the MGX.  I love this reel so much that I am considering selling my Curado Es to purchase a couple of STX reels for flipping/punching; they offer an STS-SHS with an 8.0:1 ratio and 33 inches per turn!  The new Curado G series is pretty much junk and I have a feeling Abu is going to take a considerable amount of market share in years to come.  

2. Tommy Tomlin

Tommy Tomlin New Member

Thanks for confirming that im a wanna-be.....as I only have the SX's. But at least they are the 3rd gen's.

3. Dominic

Dominic New Member

New Cat here..
    Just wanted to say Im a Big ABU GARCIA FAN enjoy using their product...
    Trying to get my coin right to get a veritas Rod and the new Revo baitcaster!

4. cjconner

cjconner Active Member

Home Page:
    Andy, you talked me into it...  I found a new one on eBay for $250,  should be here in a few days..  I like my Cores and the MGX looks to be in the same league for less money. I can't wait to try it out.

5. AndyN

AndyN New Member

Home Page:
    Chris, I think you'll be pleased.  I bought two Core 50s from Jacky last summer and ended up dumping them a couple months later, these MGXs will probably hang around for a while.

And if you decide to purchase more they can be had brand new for even less than $250 if you shop around!

6. cjconner

cjconner Active Member

Home Page:
    My MGX  arrived.  One sweet reel, I can't wait to get out on the lake and give it a test drive.  I really like the external brake and the 8.0:1 ratio.

7. bassnut

bassnut New Member

Good Morning Abu Garcia fans...Andy and Chris....I switched to  Abu Garcia about 2 years ago. The MGX is sweet and matches well with the Villain and Verdict rods. They are an extremely light combo and you can feel everything on those rods. I also have matched the STX and SX with the Veritas with exceptional results. I have a total of 18 of these combinations and love every minute of fishing with them. I have pulled some really nice fish out of heavy grass and trees with the MGX and Villain combination with ease.

I was primarily a Fenwick/Shimano fan until I used the Abu Garcia. I actually converted my son to Abu Garcia reels exclusively. He was a DIE HARD Shimano guy. Converted him after 12+ years with Shimano.

8. Marine0311

Marine0311 New Member

Man looks like I need to pick a few up and see what all the hype is all about.