New Ram Eco Diesel

Discussion in 'Auto Discussions & Tow Rigs' started by BlevinsH, Aug 12, 2015.

1. BlevinsH

BlevinsH Active Member

I love my Tundra, the space, the power, the looks but not the fuel mileage. I have been hearing some impressive things about the new Ram Eco diesel and got to drive one the other day. I must say this thing has some balls.

The best part is the mileage. I know diesel is about 10 cents more than unleaded, but to avg. 24mpg for all around driving is pretty good, and 30+mpg on the highway. Pulling my 20' Skeeter, my buddy gets 15-16mpg as where my Tundra gets 10-11.

Anyone else have one?

2. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

One of my contractors has one and has been really pleased so far.
    Sounds like the biggest complaint from the Ram line has been the lifeless interior but people spoke up and Ram has made some serious leaps in that department. It just makes sense to put these smaller turbo-charged diesels in a variety of vehicles, look at the success of the Jetta, BMW, Audi, Jeep, Mercedes diesel line-up.
    You get all the mileage gains of a small gas sipping engine with the torque of a V6 or in some cases a V8. The rest of the world has been doing this for 30 years, not sure why the US is just getting on board.

3. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

I have been seeing diesel 10 cents less in a lot of places. It was 30 cents less in the mountains.

4. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

5. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    A friend of mine has a '15 Ram 2500 Laramie and I dont think I have ever seen nicer interior. Of course I drive a Tundra and that is problably the worst interior in a truck, but the Ram has gadgets all over the place, even in the back seat. The little cup holders, and door latches had little led's in them. Pretty smooth truck. I myself have been looking at new Tundras as well as new Fords, but I also have been hearing great things about that Ram Eco Diesel. Problem is I havent seen any on the lot. It seems they are hard to come by.

6. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

7. Chris Baker

Chevy's have always been pretty!

8. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

I'd like to confirm that it's still a Dodge?

Chris Baker and DBarron like this.
  9. Chris Baker

Exactly!

10. Timberlake

Timberlake Well-Known Member

Customer of mine has one in Missouri, said it was very impressive at first. Averaged 19-21 MPG, but had some sort of engine issue. Took it to the dealer, and when he got it back it now gets 14-15. They cannot seem to find the issue, and its been a POS since. He said the engine is actually a Fiat Diesel, not a Cummins like some think. If you know anything about Fiat, they DO NOT have a good reputation in the auto industry.

Good looking trucks for sure, and quiet as I have ever seen. Not making a statement that they are all turds, just what I heard from my customer that owns one

11. magfluker

magfluker Well-Known Member

My wife was using a 2015 Ram 2500 diesel to tow a 4 horse trailer from Lousiana to Texas, the truck had a battery issue that was fixed prior to the haul. Almost at the end of the Haul, she stopped on the side of the road to get directions, the GPS didn't recognize the address of the facility correctly...anyway...she shut the truck off then it wouldn't start. The ECM sh!t the bed and she was left stranded on the side of the road in East Texas. Not a good day.

I own a 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax, when next to the Dodge, the quality is night and day, Ram has great towing and gas mileage while hauling but that's it IMO. She has used both trucks for towing and prefers the Silverado hands down, I've seen the Dodge and it's cheap on the inside.

12. BlevinsH

BlevinsH Active Member

The interior on the RAM is by far the nicest interior of any truck, and that includes the interior on my 2015 F150 Platinum and my wifes 2016 Chevy Tahoe LTZ.

The RAM had front and rear cooled and heated seats. Front and reverse cameras along with sensors. Heated steering wheel, automatic windshield wipers and headlights, and so many other damn gadgets I had never seen before. The instrument cluster or whatever that screen is called in front of the driver in the dash told you every damn piece of info you could imagine. It was like a damn laptop mounted in there. The phone integration was sick!

I just couldnt bring myself to buy the Ecodiesel even though I loved everything about it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  13. magfluker

magfluker Well-Known Member

The Silverado has all of the above as well and more, you can control the entire trucks media from the steering wheel. Just saying that you can have all the gadgets you want but if the truck doesn't run, what good are those gadgets? The tow truck driver says he has to pick up more new dodges for problems than any other truck. They are trying to make these trucks too fuel efficient when they are not meant to be. Too many electrical components can lead to disaster...there is always something to say about buying an older diesel truck...they last forever.

Preference is preference though, find someone you know with each truck you are looking at within 2 model years or newer and go with what you like....and read consumer reports for mechanical concerns.