Osaka Bay 08/22

Discussion in 'Saltwater Reports' started by Trey, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Got the invite for a local casting and jigging trip. I didn't really know what to expect as this was only my second saltwater trip since I have been here.

We loaded up the party boat at 5:45am and made about a 45 minute run to the Kobe/Akashi bridge area. We ended up chasing schooling and boiling fish about 80% of the day with a few stops to try jigging up some yellowtail. The jigging was pretty slow with the boat only landing 3 yellowtail on the jig (one big one), but casting for various species was consistent and fun all day. Japanese mackerel, "sawara", were great to catch. They are bigger than a spanish mackerel but smaller than a king mack and ton of fun on light tackle. I used bass gear most of the day and had a blast doing it. I was burning a Coltsniper jig on the surface and they were absolutely crushing it. They don't give you that big first run like a king mackerel does, they tend to wait until they get close to the boat and then smoke off about 70 yards of line. Overall, it was a very fun trip and I may go again next weekend. I didn't get any yellowtail, which was a bummer because they are stupid tasty and I am not crazy about mackerel. But basically my coworkers love it because I give them all the fish I catch and won't eat, so I think I will get invited more often. They like to eat the oiliest, most fishy tasting fish you can find.

Typical Japanese party boat. Fished a lot more comfortably than you would think. Never felt cramped.
    dock.jpg

Choose your weapon
    boat.jpg

Cracked a beer as we passed underneath
    bridge.jpg

Everything dies
    haul.JPG

lorax, John D. Ward, DBarron and 2 others like this.
  2. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    Are those Spanish Mac's?

Nevermind I just read your post and not just looked at the pictures. I was going to say those are some giants if they were.

3. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

Meh....no guads lol. TFTR looks like a good time.

4. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

That casting deck on the front is pretty sweet and I can imagine it serves well for the type of fishing you were doing.

Where can I get a set of leggings like that dude has?

5. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

That deck is awesome. I'm not gonna lie, I made some pretty absurd casts from that thing, like full wind up bombs with a Stella 6000 and Ocea Plugger. Maybe not 100 yards, but pretty damn close. I had one of our bigger fish bite at the end of a super long cast, I swear I hit the thing in the head. When I engaged the fish was already ripping.

I actually wish I had some sweet ass leggings like that, the back of my legs are toast

6. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

Awesome report! Looks like a blast for sure.

7. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Awesome report, thank you for sharing the pics. I'd like to party with that dude in the visor and flip flops, he looks like a badass, am I right?

Man I love mackerel, it's so oily and fishy. I get it at sushi restaurants, saba (which I know is salted and marinated first, so not technically raw), and my wife thinks I'm crazy. She is not very adventurous when it comes to sushi, she likes toro, maguro, hamachi, sake, and she loves the unagi. Pretty much the standard sushi cuts for most Americans. I'd love to try some of the not so popular species/cuts of meat. I really need to get my fatass over there, how much are plane tickets and when can you take some time off to party?

PS tell Hiro I miss him, and show him this picture....
    [​IMG]

8. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

They are crazy about Saba. I have all mine away. Just not into the super oily and fishy tasting stuff. Round trip airfare from Austin is about $1300. Totally worth it to come get Mercury poisoning from eating 5 lbs of raw fish and then there is the whole hot Japanese chicks thing. PS, that dude in the visor is super cool, shocker.

9. Lowell Mayes

Lowell Mayes Well-Known Member

Looks like there was no lack of nets. Not much boat flipping or lipping those toothy saltwater critters I guess. TFTR!