Rockport report - April 8 and 9

Discussion in 'Saltwater Reports' started by erickso1, Apr 11, 2016.

1. erickso1

erickso1 Well-Known Member

Headed down to Rockport with my fishing buddy for a two day fishing trip. Day one we went out with Capt Billie Kocian. We drift fished the whole day in the bays around Aransas Pass. Seemed as if the reds were really shallow and not really feeding. We ended up boating 3 keeper reds and caught a pretty good mix of under reds and a couple trout. I will say the 24" red I caught was the hardest fighting fish I've had on the end of my line.

Saturday, after the front blew through we headed out wade fishing outside of Goose Island with Jay Watkins Jr. We spent the AM searching for the larger trout bite, but it never materialized. Winds were 20 - 30 out of the E and the morning started off brisk before warming up. Bait wasn't jumping, trout weren't biting. Around 12:30 we moved to a oyster reef where he knew there were smaller keeper trout hanging out and we put 10 in the boat in about an hour. On our way to go find some larger trout he spotted reds on an oyster reef and we hopped out and waded. Ended up catching 3 keeper (including a 26 inch 8 lber) and a couple overs and a couple unders.

I was using a 7' Zodias Med, with a Stradic FK 2500 and 20# Cuatro. Awesome set up. They didn't feel heavy at all, I was bombing casts and I could feel the really light bites from the trout really well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trey and HarleyRockstar like this.
  2. aggiegreg

aggiegreg Well-Known Member

pretty brave of you to lip that trout with those fangs hanging down!

3. erickso1

erickso1 Well-Known Member

He knew he was beat. He was delicious too.