SeaStar Steering Service

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Chris Coufal, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Chris Coufal

Chris Coufal Well-Known Member

Anyone ever sent their cylinder out for repair/rebuild? I have some play in my steering and it seems to be the bushings between the bracket and the cylinder. I've tightened everything up and recently had everything power bled at Tracker. If you've had this issue before, who did you send it to?

2. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    There use to be only a handful of authorized repair shops in the country. 1 of them is located just outside of San Antonio in Atkins or use to be. 3 years ago when my Legend had an issue I pulled the boat over there and he fixed it in his shop while I waited. It was the same issue as yours. He was able to make it better, but said I would need a new cylinder soon.

When I had an issue with my steering on my bay boat, I took the whole thing off (helm and cylinder) and sent it to Boat Steering Builders in Florida and they sent me back a refurbished helm and cylinder. While I waited for the parts, they instructed I take the boat to have the lines blown out, which I forget which place it was.

3. Dietz

Dietz New Member

Hey Chris,

I had the same issue with the excessive play. Gary at Tracker repaired it for very reasonable price. He put a seal bushing kit in mine. I just took the boat up there and a day later it was ready. I am guessing yours is little different if he has already looked at it but might be worth while calling if it has been a while since he looked at it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    I think those arms get bent or just wear out. The bushing kit definitely helped mine as it did Dietz above, but the Sea Star guy in Atkins also replaced the upper bracket on mine since he had some left over parts. I didnt have any issues with it after, but it wasn't quite as bad as yours.

I understand your wanting to get it fixed though. When I would have mine trimmed out and running WOT, a little turn of the wheel and the motor would quickly jump to the other side and that little bit of play translates to a lot when running. Mine would never drive straight because of it either. Constantly would have to correct my course.

5. Chris Coufal

Yea it's a handful trimmed out. I'd like to think after it's fixed I'm going to be bored driving the boat because it will be so smooth....HAHA

Tracker told me the guy he used to use died and his shop never re-opened. I talked to a few other people with the same issue and they all said SS won't fix it and they all had to buy a new cylinder. Not really excited about spending another $400 on one seeing as that I just did heads and an oil pump.....

B.O.A.T.

6. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

Chris, I have never seen someone with more bad luck boat juju than you.

The only good thing is that at the rate you are going, you are going to have a basically brand new outboard from all the new parts you have had to buy.

7. Chris Coufal

Yeah It's pretty ridiculous....

8. MRuss

MRuss Active Member

Might be cheaper to just buy a new boat ?
    just sayin !

9. Chris Coufal

never......bite your tongue!

10. NjTexan

NjTexan Well-Known Member

Have you called or emailed Sea Star ? Sometimes one can "hear" things about manufacturers that isn't exactly accurate.