Shock leaders

Discussion in 'Inshore & Offshore Discussions' started by erickso1, Aug 31, 2015.

1. erickso1

erickso1 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions on length of shock leader and line/swivels to use for Spec trout? I tied about 5 last night at about 1.5 ft each using #20 mono and a # 8 spro swivel. That Palomar knot was freakin hard to do. (I tried with #20 fluoro but it was just to stiff. Or I didn't try hard enough).

2. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

I used to tie leaders all the time and I got lazy and quit. I just make a good habit of checking my line after a few fish and knock on wood, haven't lost a fish yet due to line breakage

But for the main line to swivel I'd used a palomar and for the fluoro it would get a Improved Clinch Knot. Way easier to tie with heavier line and cinches up clean

[​IMG]

erickso1 likes this.
  3. erickso1

Thanks Dustin. I'll give it a shot tonight. Being slowly getting the wife and kid pumped about reeling in a trout. We'll be pier fising under a light. I'll have crab traps out, a sabiki rig and throwing gulp shrimp. My 3yo really wants to play with a crab and mullet. And I think it'd be awesome if he reeled in a trout.

4. DBarron

DBarron Well-Known Member

What kind of setup do you intend to toss the gulp on? Like under a popping cork or similar?

Now as a disclaimer, pier fishing is a different wolf. Especially when other toothy critters are involved, I would opt for a leader like I described earlier. Typically in the bay you can forego the leader for the trout and reds

5. erickso1

Current thoughts on set up would be to run the gulp on a 1/8oz jig head. I'll be using my 2500 Stradic with 20# braid, 6'6" Clarus 2 piece, medium. Cast out past the lights and come back through with a varied retrieve. Figure that is something my son can handle (and his pole can handle too). I'm also going to pack a couple packs of shad, trout killers and eels. I chatted a bit with rwnitro on ABF about using the 3" shrimp with 1/8 and no cork. Just vary the retrieve. He said if they are out there, they'll (or something) will hit it.

Since our fishing window will be so small, and my sons attention can be so short, the easier the set up, the better.

edit : forgot to mention. I have 3" new penny and 3" white shrimp, and 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs in white, red and chart.

6. Chris Castro

Chris Castro New Member

7. erickso1

Just an update. I tied a couple of the swivels with the cinch and feel comfortable. I then went back to he Palomar on the swivel. Took me about 5 tries to figure it out. Now it's not a problem. I'll be tying to the jig heads with a non slip loop knot.