Vault Hubs

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Chris Coufal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Chris Coufal

Chris Coufal Well-Known Member

I'm about to be making a 6hr pull one way with the boat in a few weeks and I am trying to get all my maintenance done prior to this trip. My 09 trailer came with Vault hubs installed....which I am assuming are 7yrs old. I've read that every 5 to 7yrs these hubs need to be serviced, which I assume just means pop them off, check the bearings/seals and add some fluid. Has anyone ever serviced a set or owned a set? I know it requires a special hybrid oil blend. I'd rather not screw something up and get in the middle of Mexico and be stranded for someone to turn me into carne asada.

Thanks

2. Chris Baker

Chris Baker Well-Known Member

I believe you only need to change the fluid. On another note you had better bring a back up hub. When the oil bath hubs go bad it's quick and severe! Like no warning until you see smoke. You might also bring a spindle/axle and the proper tools to replace it with. I had this happen just going to LBJ with my old boat which is about 30 minutes from my house with nothing over 65 mph. My trailer was only a couple of years old when it happened.

Chris Coufal likes this.
  3. Chris Coufal

LOL......I'll go ahead and bring a spindle, axle and drag my welder along too :)

After some more digging, it seems it's pretty straight forward. They are designed to be maintenance free for 5yrs unless you purchased the $50 10yr plan at time of purchase. Basically it looks like to service them you need to check for leaks and then check for bearing play. I don't have any leaks so I am good there. If play is discovered they are "supposed to be sent in" to be re-torqued to factory specs".....but I can do that one my own. Outside of that it looks like you need a 1/4 ntp grease fitting and you flush the old grease blend out, and then fill per spec (using the proper grease) and install a new cap using lock-tite or permatex to seal.

Sounds pretty basic so I'm just going to do it myself.

Chris Baker likes this.
  4. Shawn T

Shawn T Administrator

Home Page:
    I always carried a backup hub. Dont have one for this boat yet, but it makes things so much faster to replace should bearings or something fail while in transit.

5. Chris Coufal

Yep I just ordered a spare hub, bearings and seals for the "just in case" need arises.