What are your best fishing memories?

Discussion in 'TTZ Lounge' started by JamesRoberts, Nov 1, 2012.

1. JamesRoberts

JamesRoberts Well-Known Member

A couple trips to Fayette and one on Rayburn come to mind. When my father was alive we would meet at Fayette because it was half way between us, him in Houston, me in Austin. One trip we had fished until about 11 with very little to show for it and came across one of my buddies that was about to leave. He said to check out an area after lunch where the bait had been stacked up and the bass had been pounding them, he said watch your graph, and you will see what I am talking about. So after lunch we headed over to the area he told us and sure enough, it was stacked with bait, and for the first time ever my graph lit up like you see in magazine ads. Also the wind was blowing, as typical on Fayette. We dropped spoons and caught fish up to 5lbs almost every drop for about 4 hours until by batteries just could not hold us anymore. Here is a pic from that day. I cant say how many we caught, but it had to be over 60!
    [​IMG]
    Another day on Fayette, he and I went back in forth on who was catching the most, it ended up in a tie at 39 each. That was a great day.

And finally we use to have a long weekend on Rayburn with my Dad his two brothers, my brother, and basically any other family member that wanted to come along. We always traded out boats, and on this day it was my brother, dad, and I in the boat together. Was about 9, and I was tired so I put my brother on the TM, dad was in the back and I stretched out across the seats for a nap. Dad says give me that chart french fry on the floor, I kind of smerk and hand it to him, thinking yeah that'll work. Not two casts later he sets the hook on a 7 lb. 3 ozer and has the big fish for the weekend. Best stuff in the world.
    [​IMG]
    Those are the greatest memories I have and certainly hope I can do the same for my grandson.
    JR

2. ChitownLonghorn

ChitownLonghorn New Member

Good stuff James

Trips to Canada with my grandfathers come to mind. Catching bull reds off San Luis Pass pier with my dad.
    Riding my bike to cemetary ponds as a kid

3. AndyN

AndyN New Member

Home Page:
    Two of my most fond memories to date are from 2008.

Lake Austin Drawdown - Jan 2008

My old buddy Eric and I decided to head out and learn the contour of the lake while dragging cranks behind the boat.  We ended up catching a bunch of fish with our best five going 43 lbs 8 ozs in 3.5 hours of fishing.  I also caught my first DD at 10 lbs 4 ozs.

7 lbs 9 ozs

[​IMG]

7 lbs 10 ozs

[​IMG]

8 lbs 11 ozs

[​IMG]

9 lbs 6 ozs

[​IMG]

10 lbs 4 ozs

[​IMG]

Sam Rayburn - October/November 2008

The year started off with a bang and ended with a bigger bang in November when Mike and I won the FOM South/Central Regional Championship on Sam Rayburn.  This was my first year fishing a tournament trail and we spent eight days of practice on a lake neither of us had ever seen before.  Stuck some pigs along the way and beat 188 teams to win over $25K.

http://www.fomntt.com/standings.php?mode=mult&mult=17

[​IMG] 

[​IMG] 

[​IMG]

Mike was one of the best tournament partners I've fished with and we spent a lot of time on the water in 2008.  Also gotta love getting reprimanded by the TD on day 2 for whispering "No SH!T" and "No F$#%ing way bro" to each other on the stage after the scale settled and we knew we had the weight to win.  I haven't fished that hard in years but hope to spend more time on the water practicing for bigger events in 2013.  

4. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Eric's hair is glorious.

Some of my best memories are crappie and redear bream fishing in Arkansas and Mississippi with all my paternal relatives.  My grandparents lived on horseshoe lake in Eastern Arkansas.  We would stay with them for a month just about ever summer, fished off their long pier and boat house everyday.

5. rooster

rooster Guest

my best memory of me and poppy is kind of a duel edged sword.......i was a troubled youth to say the least and it was the summer after grandma died......he was keeping me for awhile .....maybe to keep me straight .......but years later i now realize we were keepin each other strait.....anywho...we were out in the bay draggin for flounder....not having much luck when out of nowhere the blues started poppin everywhere......poppy started hollerin at me ...."get that line in the water boy.....do you want to catch a fish????....we started castin and catchin .....it was amazing......and then just like that he said ....."wrap it up boy"....i said were catchin fish poppy!!!....he said ...."i said wrap it up damnnit!!!"......so i did ....we rode in the six or so miles in silence.....we got back to the trailer and "wrapped it up".....he couldnt do it with out her no more....we went back to Dover  PA...and other then "wrappin it up"....that was the last time we fished together...

6. Lglass

Lglass Guest

I would have to say fishing with my dad,grandfather, and uncle would be some of my best memories. Whether it was jumping from pond to pond catching bass, trout and reds at the coast or spending a night on a river bank chasing big yellow's.

I have had some good times bass fishing in the last few years, but if it wasn't for all the time I spent with my family growing up I probably wouldn't even care about fishing now.

7. AndyN

AndyN New Member

Home Page:
    You guys are very fortunate to have grown up fishing with your families.  Nobody in my family fishes and it's the reason I gave it up when I turned 16.  Wish I had stuck with it though as it probably would have kept me out of all the trouble I got into!

James, stumbled across these pics and remembered my first trip to Amistad back in 2007.  We had a great time fishing and your dad was awesome to hang out with, I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet him before he passed.  This is still one of the coolest pics I have of you and your old man!

[​IMG]

Gotta love rolling to Big Blue with a fairy wand and 8-10 lb line...those were the early stages of my fishing and I threw the drop shot pretty much everywhere I went! It was still fun finessing dink fish out of grass in 30-40' of water.

[​IMG]

Remember this "10 lb" fish?

[​IMG]

And I can already smell the steaks on the grill looking at this pic!

[​IMG]

8. AndyN

AndyN New Member

Home Page:
    Guess I'll keep the thread going with a trip to Sugar Lake in September 2009.  Charles, Eric and I crossed the border into Tamaulipas, Mexico to film two days of fishing for Power Tackle.  

[​IMG]

Two things really stood out about this trip...ripping deep cranks through the trees whacking dozens of 3-5 lbers (nearly at will) and several fish between 6-10 lbs and fishing in sombreros!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stayed at Campo El Mirador and never had to leave the safety of the all-inclusive lodge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a gated ramp on site, three meals served daily and all the beer and top shelf tequila you could drink.  Life is good down in Mexico:

- Wake up to the best breakfast tacos you've ever had

- Fish all day then come in for lunch and an afternoon siesta

- Head back out for a few hours and fish until sunset before coming back to a sizzling plate of fajitas and a dozen or so ice cold Sols

- Grab a bottle of tequila and head for the pool table or dart board to finish off your evening

If it's ever safe again to cross the border I highly recommend making a trip to Sugar...it's like Falcon on fire and if you're extremely lucky you might run into one other boat on this 25,000 acre lake.  

9. JamesRoberts

JamesRoberts Well-Known Member

Good stuff for sure Andy, and that reminded me of another trip Dan and I had to Amistad, we fished a few days, and our best day dad had 26lbs and I had 24lbs. Dad was wackin'em on the c-rig on that giant flat with the grass right before you head up river. What a great day that was!

10. D Gordon

D Gordon New Member

Dad

Fishing with my dad and brother in an aluminum v-bottom throwing wooden lucky 13's in a stump filled lake in Arkansas .  Busting big bass at 6yrs old .  Finding a land locked tidepool at Boca Chica beach outside of Brownsville ,  Tx and limiting on Redfish in 45min throwing gold spoons .  Age 10yrs .  Fishing with dad and my uncle on Cross Lake in Louisiana catching on Jitterbugs .  He liked him some topwater action .  Age 11yrs .

Brother

Fishing from a leaking inflateable raft in a resaca in Bayview Tx where we had 30 acres of orange and grapefruit orchard .  This was a completely unfished complex made for irrigation that was fed from the Rio Grande .  Crankbaits and top water ,  age 12yrs .

Brother in Law

By far the best saltwater fisherman I have ever had the privlidge to be in the boat with .  We fished every time I went to Harlingen .  The most memorable was a trip we took and limited on reds in about one hour ,  not wanting to go in we went looking for big trout .  The picture says the rest the trout weighed 11lbs ,  the reds were when the length was 30in and a limit was 5 .  The fish weighed so much we put them on a come-a-long to pose them for the picture .  His last trip was a month before he died 5yrs ago .  Weak from fighting cancer he fished and caught a 27.5in red ,  we also drank Lone Star .  I got in alot of trouble for keeping him out and drinking ,  GOOD TIMES  DG

[​IMG]

11. AndyN

AndyN New Member

Home Page:
    That trout on the left is a GATOR!

Awesome pic Don but where are you in it?  All I see is Jon Jackson on the right pointing toward the trout.

12. D Gordon

D Gordon New Member

Lots of filets ,  mmmmmmmm good .  Thats my brother in law in the middle ,  we were friends before he met my sister in law .  Surfers .  The guy on his right is one of his best friends ,  and if Jon had a bigger nose he would be almost as handsome as me .  DG

13. TerryW

TerryW New Member

Home Page:
    Great stories above...

3 stories come to mind:

First, Fayette County circa 2007ish I think.  Andy and I were still brand new to the the central Texas fishing scene and had heard of the great action on Fayette county.  We worked a half day deal with a guide, Bill Spears, to trail his boat and give us a lay of the land and show us a few good spots to get us started.  No surprise, he started us off at the discharge working the rocks while he worked the humps and flats that sit several hundred yards off the rocks.  To this day, it is still one of the most insane fish catching sessions I have ever been a part of.  The north wind had the bait blown and stacked in there and the fish were destroying just about anything you threw, as long as you bumped it off a rock.  Most were heavy slot fish but if memory serves me right we both had fish up to 7lbs or so.  It felt like we caught 100 fish that morning, truth be told it was probably more like 20 or 30 but we did it in a short amount of time before the bite died.  We were so pumped about that little lake I think we went back at least 10 more times but never had a morning like that.  Andy would meet me at my house at 4:30am, we would drive the hour and a half to the lake, fish until dark, pound a red bull and drive back and drink crown into the wee hours of the morning in the garage.  Miss those days!

Second: Rockport, TX 2009 or so.  My brother and Dad headed down from Dallas and met me in Rockport where I had a full day scheduled with a guide who came recommended.  Like most of my luck when I try to involve the family, the weather turned and the evening before the trip the winds were howling out of the North, sustained 25 gusting to 40.  I called the guide thinking he would want to cancel the trip but instead he said the fishing had been good and not to worry there was nothing his 24 foot Ranger Bay couldn't handle out there.  Well, after fishing most of the morning with very little to show for it, he found an area that was sheltered from the wind, still had some clarity to the water and was holding fish.  We were soaking shrimp under popping corks and in one long wade session we all had limits.  My ole' man ended up with 15lb black drum and we all had a few drag peeling redfish.  We took our catch and had it fresh fried, enjoyed beers and the rest of the weekend.  My dad and bro have since had a falling out so finding good memories of all of use together is tough.

Third: Tie. Placing second in the Lone Star Series Lake Austin Event in 2011 or winning the TTZ Wednesday night kick off event this year.  The tie breaker probably goes to the Wednesday night event because Grant had a new PB of almost 11 and I had a heavy 8.  I will never forget trying to predict our weight without being overly optimistic.  Starting off the sentence with "well we have two fish for 19 pounds, easy" is never a bad start.  It was really my last event before my son was born and it was pretty awesome to be able to go out with a bang.  I plan to lay off competitive fishing for a while and enjoy baby time as much as I can.  Hopefully when he gets old enough he will want to pick it up, time will tell.

14. Butters

Butters New Member

Gotta lot of great memories growing up that involved fishing and most have to do with my family.  I was blessed to be raised by a family that lived the outdoor life style and believed in the values it instills in a person.  Roaming the streets of Taylor with a rod and a tackle box on my bike were some of the greatest times of my childhood.  Didn't seem to matter what body of water or what the species I just wanted to catch fish and have some good adventures.[​IMG]  [​IMG]

Also had alot of great memories of Sugar Lake like Andy.  I made at least 3-4 trips there a year from 2000-2008 with my Dad and Uncle.  My Uncle lives in Mc Allen and fishes the lake almost every weekend and owns his own room at a lodge right on the lake.  Fishing all day and drinking coldies at night with the fam and friends was just awsome.  Also bringing in fish for our friends families was awsome.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    My cousin Brian and I back in 99 fishing a small lake on Ark/Miss border.  Just a jon boat, trolling motor, live minnows and cold beers, which was perfect for this lake.  We fried all of those crappie and cats up right after this picture was snapped.  That was a great afternoon of fishing. 

[​IMG]

After Y2K I graduated from  backwards hats to visors, I think it was a good move.  I was always squinting back in those days.