Zodias Crankbait Rod Review- Two Thumbs Up

Discussion in 'Rods - Reels - Tackles - Electronics' started by AndrewO, Jun 25, 2016.

1. AndrewO

AndrewO Well-Known Member

I recently picked up one of the Zodias crankbait rods. I was looking for something to throw deep divers (DD22, 6XD, G87, 8XD) and the 7' 6" MH rod fits the bill perfectly. I have found myself almost exclusively throwing the HD version of the DD22, which weighs one ounce, and thus I needed a rod that had a little more backbone to it yet still maintained the proper attributes for throwing crankbaits and helping you land fish once you hook them. I could not be happier with this rod. I can cast these baits a long way without the rod feeling overpowered and when I hook fish the parabolic bend from the fiberglass really helps you get them in the boat. I don't think I have lost a fish yet once I get them hooked.

Another attribute that I really appreciate is the long handle section. It gives you great leverage when casting and you can tuck the rod under your arm (if you like) when reeling in the bait.

The rod is light and I can cast deep divers all day with no problems.

Here is another tip: if you find yourself throwing bigger crankbaits, get a 300 size reel. That size reel is actually designed to throw baits around an ounce and the power to bring in deep divers makes it so much easier to retrieve them.

With this Zodias rod and a Curado 300e, I am a deep cranking machine.

DBarron, Trey, goodner171 and 2 others like this.
  2. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    I'm ordering one with a Conquest 100 reel to go on it.

AndrewO likes this.
  3. AndrewO

Oh my. Zodias plus Conquest.... Pure trophy!!!

4. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

I love my zodias worm and jig rod. Just wish they had a damn bait keeper on the rod. I don't like having to put the hook through the space in my Ci4+. Does the cranking rod have a bait keeper?

5. GrantS

GrantS Administrator

A quick solution to this is drilling a hole in the trigger on the bottom of the reel seat. That is what I have done with mine and not only does it save the reel finish a bit, but also when bouncing around in the boat it keeps the hook point away from the line in then reel and any potential line damage.

goodner171 likes this.
  6. goodner171

goodner171 Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll look into that. I just like bait keepers that you just slide the hook into vs. putting the hook through the hoop, or in this case through my reel. Then you don't have to unhook/re-hook your plastics every time you put down your reel. It becomes irritating not to mention tears up a lot of plastics, unnecessarily. My cheaper Shimano Compre's have them, so why not the zodias?

Trey, drop a card in the suggestion box at work lol.

7. AndrewO

Cranking rod does not have a bait keeper.

8. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    Yeah i've seen Grant's rod, the hole looks great. (no homo)

Chris Baker and goodner171 like this.
  9. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

For deep cranking, I'd recommend the 200 size Conquest because of line capacity. Make a long cast with a big crank with a 100 and you have almost no line on the reel. Your inches per handle turn is really low when there is low line on the spool so it will take longer for your bait to get down into the juice. This is part of the reason I like a 300E, like AO mentioned. I can get my bait deeper, faster. KVD discusses this point in the video below

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1670135-kvd-s-tournament-winning-cranking-system

10. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

We don't put bait keepers on all the rods for various reasons. Essentially it just comes down to cost. I have a MSRP(retail price) and COP (cost of production) target I need to hit with every product and when it comes down to it, I would rather put my cost budget into things that actually affect the performance of the rod. If the choice comes down to a slightly more sensitive rod or a hook keeper, I would rather have the sensitivity. Same goes with strength, better guides, etc. Adding a hook keeper to a rod basically will raise the retail price $5-10.

I also like hook keepers though, so I have been putting these Fuji EZ Keepers on some of them. $3.09

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Fuji_Ez_Keeper/descpage-FUJIEZK.html

11. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

And thanks for the good writeup Andrew. There is a little bit of Trey love in this rod. I am co-planning the Zodais series with our Japanese rod planner.

The upper 1/3 of the blank is fiberglass with Hi-Power X carbon tape and the lower 2/3 is graphite with Hi Power X. The glass helps load the rod for casting and really allows the fish to eat those bigger cranks. The graphite mid and butt section helps you drive the hooks home, move the fish away from cover and then winch them into the boat. I am really liking these composite blanks and you will see some more options in the future. I am pretty much going to all glass blended rods for all my moving bait applications outside of walking topwaters and swimbaits.

DBarron and John D. Ward like this.
  12. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    I have a 300e but I don't use it on cranking rods, just never felt right for me. I've tried a lot of different things for deep cranks, recently read a review from a fella using a conquest and it sounded like a magical dream. Lowered handle feels less like a round and more like low profile reel in your palm, micro module gears are smooth/efficient, 12+1 ball bearings, Hagane body, Xship, S3D, Super Stopper II, only 7.5 ounces, etc etc = huge casts, effortlessly cranking with power, amazing durability, and increased sensitivity by feeling constantly in contact with the bait. I was waiting for doves to fly out of this reel after reading about it. I'll try the 200 for deep cranking rods.

13. AndrewO

I will definitely want to see how that rod is with a Conquest 200. I bet it is amazing.

14. AndrewO

This, especially on the loading of the cast. This is not flimsy fiberglass; instead you are getting a slow, powerful parabolic action. Married to the High Power X graphite that you find in the other rods in the Zodias line, you get great stability of the blank when launching big crankbaits. The benefit of having less lateral movement of the shaft when casting is longer casts that are more accurate. It. Is. Awesome!

Since getting this rod, all I want to do is just drive around looking for schools of fish and then go hammer them with deep cranks. I mean, that is all I want to do during the summer anyway, but I don't even want to go to work anymore or see my family. Just crankbait all day, every day. When I go to Falcon next week I am going to really put this rod through its paces.

John D. Ward likes this.
  15. John D. Ward

John D. Ward Moderator

Home Page:
    After chatting with our friend in Japan for an hour last night I've decided I need to buy a 200 conquest for the deep crank zodias rod and the 100 conquest to go with the smaller 7 foot zodias cranking rod for medium cranks and squarebills.

Well I guess I don't need to.....but I just turned 41 and I'm having a midlife crisis so I am buying up cool shit to make me feel better. In other news I bought all new Titleist irons, wedges, and woods to go with my new titelist bag, towel, visor, and shirts. All this new gear is totally making me younger, now all I need is a new convertible to drive on the weekends.

Trey likes this.
  16. AndrewO

Sounds like you have it made. Remember, you can't take it with you and tomorrow is not guaranteed. Today is ALWAYS the perfect day to go big!

John D. Ward likes this.